Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless G

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok here is the thing and I think its my problem. I have an old linksys wireless G router. Its about 3 years old. Now up untill recently it was working just fine, nothing has changed as in ISP, Modems, Location, nothing.

I have a desktop that I had moved to a different room, and therefor had to go from wired to wireless. To do so I installed a brand new linksys wireless G PCI card.

Now the problem is, I cant hold a signal for NOTHING... it says it has like a 60-70% signal... but drops it so MUCH.

I am now haveing the problem that it wont even connect. It tries to connect but then loses that it even reads it. I click it and then connect and it tries to get IP, then nothing at all.. it goes back to the view wireless screen and its not even shown in there????

Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not that familiar with the LinkSys, but aside from the fact you have a weak signal and may need to use an external antenna system, you may have interference problems on the channel you are using. Belkin allows a change in channel, think default was 11, to allow help in clearing up some interference problems. Plus, if your wireless system operates in the 2.4 GHz range, then you may have problems with cordless phones nearby.

You could also try orientating the small wireless antennas to see if you can increase the signal strength. Check out: 10 tips for improving your wireless network

Ron

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK this may sound funny but many things may cause noise on your singnal. a light dimmer switch, electrical flow starting and stoping, fan motors, garage door openers, cordless phones, ect... Try moving your machine to different spots (even one foot can make a difference) The Linksys should try different channels on its own, is your machine set to automaticly connect, and is the wireless network your default? When you drop the singnal it should pick it back up automaticaly. OH your old router may need to be replaced. Electronics do wear out. I like Linksys and do not care for Belkin .