Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crysis in Vista x64

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I can't seem to get Crysis to work in Vista x64. When I try almost anything (Play, Play DX10, Play DX9) I get a black screen and it says that Crysis has ended unexpectedly. The one thing that kind of works is going into the bin32 folder and launching the 32-bit version of Crysis. There, I can get to the menu for about a minute before my computer freezes and I have to restart.

I think the problem might be that I have a very new graphics card (8800GTS 512mb). I have tried the 169.25 beta, 169.25 WHQL, and 169.28 beta drivers, which are the only 3 with support for my card. I get the same results with all of them.

Will a driver update or crysis patch hopefully solve this problem? It's kind of ironic that I got Crysis with my 8800gts 512mb and it doesn't work with it. :)

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
An update for anyone interested/having the same problem:

I tried playing Crysis on the same setup, but on 32-bit Vista and now the DX9 version works (albeit with A LOT of "display driver has stopped responding" freezes), but I still have the same problem as before when trying to run the DX10 version. I'm pretty sure that this is a driver issue now, so I guess I'll just wait for the next driver release and see how it goes.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are your current on our patches for crysis? I know there were some people having similar issues when it was first launched.

I ran the beta and demo's on vista x64 and didn't have any issues, but that doesn't mean to much.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As far as I know, there are no patches currently available. However, the first one is supposed to be released very soon, so I'll have to give it a try.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Problem solved. For anyone who is wondering, I fixed this by not overclocking my CPU. Even though my OC ran Orthos 24 hours with no problems, apparently Crysis just doesn't like me to OC my CPU. Even when giving the CPU 0.5V more than what it needed to be stable in Orthos with, Crysis still froze.

Edited by stettybet0, 12 January 2008 - 05:51 PM.