Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games and apps dissapearing

• Please log in to reply

Moshi

Moshi

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
The problem was discovered by my mom, because she likes to play Solitaire, Hearts and those Windows games. But they weren't there (Start menu -> Games)! It was blank. It was there before because she plays on almost daily basis. So I did a search on pc for "sol.exe" (for Solitaire) but it found nothing. I even searched the System 32 folders but found nothing! So I had to install them from the XP cd again.

The next one on the list is Windows Media Player. If I double click an .avi file on my disc it will open normaly and work so also. But I can't find wmp.exe anywhere in the pc!! Not in it's folder, not through searching!

What the... is happening here?

Thanks! :)

P.S.: Games dissapeared twice already. And here are the specs of my pc:

Window XP Pro with intergrated SP 2, build 2002.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz
Kingston DDR2 1x2GB PC5300 667Mhz
MSI P35 NEO-F; 1333FSB, 4xDDR2 Dual Ch. (max. 8GB), PCIe16, SATA2, Sound 7.1, GigaLAN, ATX
ATI RX1950PRO 256MB DDR3 PCI-E, TV-izhod, Dual DVI-I
500GB Seagate 7.200 16MB SATA2

P.P.S.: Almost forgot to add that I did a scan with NOD32 and Spyware Doctor... nothing turned up.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The next one on the list is Windows Media Player. If I double click an .avi file on my disc it will open normaly and work so also. But I can't find wmp.exe anywhere in the pc!! Not in it's folder, not through searching!

Windows Media Player is wmplayer.exe, not wmp.exe. At least it is for WMP 9 (I don't have or want WMP 10 or 11).

It should be C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.

Moshi

Moshi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
This is all I have in WMP folder:

Posted Image

While searching for wmplayer.exe it found this:

Posted Image

Still wanna know why games and wmp dissapeared.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know why games and wmp disappeared but it seems to be a not uncommon problem based on the result I got from a Google search for

games and wmp disappeared.

BTW, a scan with NOD32 and Spyware Doctor is not sufficient to detect all malware. I would recomomend the following:

Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.

If you come up clean, then I would do a Repair Install, see if that resolves your problems.

Moshi

Moshi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Big thanks Ztruker with your google hint I found out that wmplayer.exe was among hidden files of the operating system. And I keep them hidden but I want wmplayer.exe back among regular files.

So anyone knows how to make it visible again? :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
wmplayer.exe should not be a hidden, system file. Nothing in "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player" should be a hidden, system file.

I'm beginning to think you may have picked up some kind of malware.

Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.

Moshi

Moshi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'll do it.

Thanks Ztruker, you've been of a great help!