Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another XP Repair Problem - Not Finding Current Installation

• Please log in to reply

dAvik

dAvik

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Right, after the new PC building problems that occured, I'm stuck at the stage of not being able to boot windows, and have discovered that I need to repair.

Sticking in my Windows disc, I get the options to set up windows XP, repair using the recovery console or leave.

The first option is what I would want, as I should be able to select my current installation and repair it. But my current installation isn't there.

The second option basically gives me command prompt. Typing bootcfg (which according to one guide, should make the repair thing able to see it) just brings a menu of bootcfg commands. Using the boot /repair command, I am asked if I want to add the installation to the boot list, which I want to, but each time I try, I get told Error: Failed to add to list etc.

So I can't repair windows, as far as I can tell, and I can't afford to lose the programs on my current installation.

Also, I went into the Recovery console and typed this:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

The same problem occurs. I really can't afford to lose my programs, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already used about 2 days building this PC and trying to get it to work.

Thanks

Edited by dAvik, 26 December 2007 - 07:20 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
On the first Setup screen, Press Enter.
Press F8 on the licence screen.
Press R on the third screen to repair Windows.

Failing this, go into the Recovery Console, type "chkdsk /p /r" and press Enter. Let it run, then type Exit and try a repair again.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 December 2007 - 04:57 PM.

dAvik

dAvik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have already tried the normal repair option - it doesn't recognise that I have an installation already. I will try the checkdisk command, however. Thanks.

dAvik

dAvik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
After performing chkdsk, it appears it stopped at 32% and i have the message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. However, the same windows installation was functioning a few days ago in another computer.

dAvik

dAvik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did another chkdsk, and it finished, but I still don't get the option to repair.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot the Recovery Console again. This time enter fixboot then bootcfg /rebuild. If still no good, boot the RC again and enter fixmbr then try bootcfg /rebuild, see if it works now.

dAvik

dAvik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have done both the fixboot and the fixmbr, no dice. When I try the rebuild, however, it asks me for the Load Identifier, which I have entered as "Microsoft Windows XP Professional", without the quote marks, but then it asks me for the load options. I have no idea what to type in here, but whatever I put, it just says something along the lines of "Error: Failed to add installation to the boot list" or something.

Either way, it still doesn't show up. It seems to think that there is an installation, but it's not on the boot list, which I find confusing.

dAvik

dAvik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Morning Update:

Trying CHKDSK again, it seems to wait for ages around 25%, and then halt at 32%, saying there are unrecoverable problems, which I don't understand as it completed chkdsk yesterday. I can't do the rebuild until I've done chkdsk.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download the hard drive utility from the HD manufacturers web site. It will be available in Diskette or bootable CD format. Boot the CD or diskette and run the HD diagnostic. It will tell you if the drive is defective or not. Sure sounds like it is going bad to me.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The message about unrecoverable problems is a warning sign. Replace the drive. A repair may no longer be possible even if you were able to clone the old drive to the new drive.