Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashing while gaming

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hey
before i start, these are my system specs

p4 2.8ghz
1 gb ram
win xp pro
80 gb hd
450w psu
evga geforce 7800gs agp

ok, so the problem is that whenever i try to game, CoD4 in particular, i can play for 5-10 minutes before my computer just crashes and reboots. the weird thing is, it never happened since yesterday. i was playing multiplayer and i couldnt even play for over 10 minutes, last week everything was running perfectly
im on the latest forceware drivers, 169.21
heres another weird thing.
so, my usb mouse and my network adapter both died on me yersterday, so i started playing single player CoD4 with my ps/2 mouse. i could play for hours on end, [bleep], i even beat the whole game yesterday without even 1 crash.
im not sure, but could it be my psu?
im pretty sure its not an overheating gpu, because i set the fans on max using riviatuner and my gpu temp is always 45-50 C when gaming.

also forgot to mention that i bought a new usb adapter and new mouse today and it started happening again.

Edited by shinakuma9, 26 December 2007 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dump the USB network adapter (return it) and get a Ethernet card to install in your computer. In my experience, they work better, are faster and cause less problems than USB network adapters. If this is a laptop, get a PCMCIA ethernet card or go whole hog and buy a Wireless router and a Wireless G PCMCIA network card (I'm rather free with your money aren't I?).

Also, why use a USB mouse when the PS/2 mouse works?

Doing the above frees up 2 USB ports for other uses :)