Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Laptop Not Connecting to Home Network

• Please log in to reply

Geecko

Geecko

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all! So I'm normally good with self-help with any computer issues I come across, but it's been impossible to figure out how to resolve this wireless issue. If anyone can please help, I'd appreciate it SO MUCH! Here are my specs after I ran ipconfig/all:

I have an HP Pavilion laptop zv5000.

Host name: zv5000
Primary Dns Suffix: [blank]
Node type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: [blank]
Description: Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g
Physical Address: 00-90-4B-5B-14-C2
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 12/26/2007
Lease Expires: 12/27/2007

I have a security-enabled wireless network set up, on which two other laptops are running perfectly. I've just brought this HP laptop home, and the wireless has functioned well on other wireless networks in the past.

Signal strength is strong, I've typed in the network keys, but every time I try to connect it tries to for a while, and nothing happens. I then updated the drivers (using a CD), but the wireless switch light turned off and stopped even detecting any signals, so I rolled back the driver to one from 2003, and the switch came back on. Now I have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Hi! Welcome to GTG.

Have you checked to see if your router is using "MAC Filtering", checking the MAC address of the computers that are trying to use DHCP before granting the request? You'll see it in the router log as DHCP request denied or something similar.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What security software are you running? I see a lot of issues with McAfee and Vista and network connections. Vista will use the wireless in Safe Mode with networking. same with XP.

Edited by silverbeard, 27 December 2007 - 03:50 AM.

Geecko

Geecko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi! Welcome to GTG.

Have you checked to see if your router is using "MAC Filtering", checking the MAC address of the computers that are trying to use DHCP before granting the request? You'll see it in the router log as DHCP request denied or something similar.

Hi 98Springer, thanks so much for replying. I'm not exactly sure how to look up the router log, but I'll check and post back!

Geecko

Geecko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What security software are you running? I see a lot of issues with McAfee and Vista and network connections. Vista will use the wireless in Safe Mode with networking. same with XP.

Hi Silverbeard, thanks for the reply! So the HP laptop that wasn't connecting has a free virus program, AVG, and the other Sony Vaio laptop in the house that was connecting fine has the same. So I don't know why it's being screwy?

Geecko

Geecko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So new development guys!

I was wondering if my problem might be that the newly introduced HP laptop's attempts at authentication are failing, and that's why it keeps picking up the wireless network but isn't logging in.

So what I tried, was removing the WPA2-PSK security-enabled network, and made it a WEP network. NOW, the Sony Vaio laptop (which previously worked on the network perfectly) is having the shoddy connection issue that HP laptop did! And now the HP laptop is connecting to the network fine! WHY is THAT?? lol Does that mean the problem is rooted in how I'm setting up the network? But I've tried WPA2-PSK, and WEP, and only one of the laptops will work with either type of secured network.

Now, I'm going to see if I open up the network, and remove all security, whether both laptops will work. But even if it does, I would not prefer to keep my network unsecured for long term.

I will also check the router log, as per 98Springer's suggestion.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions guys! :)

Geecko

Geecko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SUCCESS!

So both laptops worked after removing all security, so I realized the problem must lay in how I set up the network. And it was! One laptop was set up for a WPA2-PSK network, and the other was set up for a WPA-PSK network, so I just made the network WPA-PSK, conformed each laptop's settings, and it's working fine now (albeit a tad slow)(but it's working!).

Thanks SO much for your replies guys!

YAY! :)

LQA

LQA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Congrats, Geecko. Alas, I'm having a very similar problem.

I reloaded Windows XP last week on my Presario 2700 laptop that I've had for several years.
Until this afternoon, I could connect my laptop via wireless to my home internet connect (I'm now writing from my desktop).
When I came home today, no connection.
(On a side note, I was using wifi at a cafe earlier today when it went down in the whole cafe (as confirmed by other patrons). I packed up my laptop to work at home and... no connection. More than just coincidence?)

I took out the wifi card and tried connecting with ethernet, and it still doesn't work.
I've looked on several forums for similar situations and change so many settings that I lost track of them.
I've had trouble with internet connections before, but nothing like this!

The IPCONFIG of the desktop is:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Briana
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-5B-EE-A1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.168.58.30
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 67.168.58.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.66.30
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.69.146
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 28, 2007 6:47:26 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 01, 2008 6:47:26 PM

from the laptop, I pinged yahoo.com with no luck.
I pinged 216.109.127.30 also with 0 received.

I've deleted known firewalls, reset LAN connections, rebooted several times, and followed the advice on other forums as much as I could understand.
I'm on the verge of just reloading windows xp again.

Can anyone here help? Thank you!