Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply

nineveh

nineveh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I came home today with the wonderful surprise of seeing a blue screen on my monitor the second i walk into the door. Yay! Well it said i had some boot drive error, i restarted, did the same thing. So I tried to go into safe mode, didnt work. OK so i booted with the xp home cd and ran check disk on my c: drive, and then i figured while i was at it, since my d: drive had been acting a bit weird lately, i decided to check that too. Well after I restarted I was blessed to see my computer boot up, but when i checked the d: drive, i noticed that i only have about 6.5 gigs left. I have a 250gig hitachi hard drive, and i had nearly 100 gigs left. And to top it all off, there are numerous corrupted files that i can't access. Any ideas guys? This is driving me insane.

Advertisements

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Did your Hitachi drive come with any drive management software? I know that Western Digital drives come with Data Life Guard and other programs, so I would imagine that the Hitachi has their own too.

If it does, run it as the instructions say, and use it to check your partitions and space.

I had an incident occur with a WD drive I had (80GB). It would show it was only 10GB, and even after using FDISK and formating in windows, it still was only showing as 10GB. I used WD's tools and restored the drive, and it fixed the problem.

nineveh

nineveh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hrmm....well it did come with one, Ontrack disk manager. It has an option to "install" a hard drive for partitioning and formatting. I reaaallly dont want to format though. In the midst of trying to fix this I've recoverd around 50 gigs of space that i was missing before this happened, but that was just from file deletion and whatnot. But now i'm still missing that 100 gigs. The ontrack software came with a disk utility that runs from dos, but when i run it i get a error saying that theres a bad or missing command.com, and it cant run. So if there are any utilites that i could use, its not working. Any other suggestions, I'd like to do anything i can before resorting to formatting.

nineveh

nineveh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: