Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help problem

• Please log in to reply

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
my dad accidently step on the wire of my charger of my laptop now when i plug the charger in my laptop is too loose. and my laptop is not charging at all. can someone help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a new charger?

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
You can play around with some tools to try to get it back to shape. Apparently your dad has crushed it a little bit thus that's what is making it loose. However be careful! If you have some extra cash to spare go buy one right away.

I had a similar problem with my HP Laptop, when a guy step on it and fractured to internal wires making it go overload when it was connected. Not even with my electrical skills i had to fix it because apart from it was dead hard to dismantle i managed to remove the short and it would still not work when it received load.

To protect your laptop buy a new one however yours seems much simpler due to the fact its fitting loose. Try to play around a little bit with the front adapter using some basic tools to get it back to the original shape.

I suggest to you make the round circle tighter using something to it will not fit loose and see if it works! Goodluck

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
When the wire was steped on it may have pulled the connecter lose on the motherboard. This is a common problem and can be fixed by a qualified technician (it will have to be resoldered). The cost is around $90.00 US at a repair shop. (give or take) But try a diferent charger first.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
i dont think this is a charger problem coz when i plug the charger into the wall the light will come up.

davidbugeja

davidbugeja

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

i dont think this is a charger problem coz when i plug the charger into the wall the light will come up.

What light will come up? You mean the screen will look brighter or do you have an LED bulb on the charger that lights up?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It is likeky a loose connecter. UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING I suggest you take it to a reputable repair shop. They will have to tear it down to the motherboard to resolder the connection so the cost is justified BUT is it under warranty? good luck again the cost should NOT be more than $90.00 as it only takes about one to one and a half hours so do not let any one try to overcharge you. While I have never done this I do work at a good repair shop, about a thousand miles away from where you are though)

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

When the wire was steped on it may have pulled the connecter lose on the motherboard. This is a common problem and can be fixed by a qualified technician (it will have to be resoldered). The cost is around $90.00 US at a repair shop. (give or take) But try a diferent charger first.

I am right in thinking that the connection from the charger to the back or side of the laptop is loose?
If so then I would agree with what wolfgang has to say.
I have already had this problem with a user.
In the end the, connection because loose, can become very hot and melt the plastic suround
Take the laptop to your nearest tec shop for repair.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
i went to bestbuy today and the guy said they have to replace the motherboard on it. that guy knows already without opening the laptop inside. how did he know that the motherboard is broken without even opening it. and he said it cost me $300 to fix it. i was like what. but i still have the warranty on this laptop.

Edited by tikyoo, 28 December 2007 - 02:17 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
That was a sales man not a technician. HE IS LIEING. But if it is under warrenty and does not cost you........ IT IS STILL A $90.00 FIX do not get ripped off

tikyoo

tikyoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
if i send it to the toshiba company they will replace the laptop or just fix it. my warranty expire at july 2008.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Cool

tikyoo

tikyoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
do u know the metal when u plug the charger in the laptop u can see it in the laptop. it is loose.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi tikyoo :)

I know that here in South Africa, if I took my laptop back and told them "I stepped on the cord and and and ....." they would tell me it is negligence and my warranty is therefore null and void. Same as water damage or dropped hardware.

However I heard that it is not like that in all areas of the world.

That "Salesman" or "Technician" might well have been right in what he was saying, we can't assume that he is ripping you off. I know this because I used to work with cellphones and every phone had it's very own common fault. I could also straight away see when someone had dropped their phone or left it next to the shower and it had picked up moisture. I think the same concept works in your case. On the other hand, he might be telling you some long winded story. You know the old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" :)

Send it to Toshiba, and see what they say... If they don't fix it and also want to charge you for another motherboard, shop around and see what other people say.

(Maybe take it to wolfgang3212 who stays 1000miles from you and they will give you an honest opinion :) )