Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hardware wont recognise drivers

• Please log in to reply

Stomper79

Stomper79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just installed a new 5.1 sound card for my PC, At first i had some trouble getting XP to detect the new hardware. I managed to get round this problem, However, I now have trouble getting the new hardware to detect the drivers, The new hardware wizzard wont detect them so i installed them manualy, But even now the card is still flagged in the Hardware manager as not having any drivers,

Please, can anyone shed some light on this for me :)

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi Stomper79,

Did the card you purchased not come with an install CD at all?

Also, when you install a driver manually, windows will sometimes ask you something like, "This driver is not for this hardware". Shoot me for not remembering the exact phrase it tells you, been a while since I installed a driver manually.

XP is generally very good with picking up hardware and detecting if you have drivers.

Please tell us a little more about the card, e.g. model number, brand. And also what type of trouble you had getting XP to detect the hardware?

Stomper79

Stomper79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick reply,

The card did come with a install cd, However the add new hardware wizard wouldn't detect the driver on it for the card, The card details are Trust 5.1 sound card sc-5250 Windows was saying that it could not detect the drivers on the disc, I even tried downloading the latest drivers for the card via their website, www.trust.com.

The hardware in the Device manager now has a Yellow "?"

Hope this info spreads more light on the situation

:)

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi,

Are there drivers available for Windows XP64bit?
No, because Windows XP64bit is more for the professional market.

That is a quote from their website. I'm not sure what version of Windows you are using, however if XP does not pick it up and installing the driver manually gives you the yellow question mark, then it is not the right driver [I don't think].
Furthet than that I'm a bit stumped with it.

Stomper79

Stomper79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I am using XP 32bit version, & it does seem that the drivers Trust have supplied via the CD and their website are the wrong ones, Gonna try reinstalling once more, and failing that i think i'll return the sound card to the shop i bought it, and go buy a sound blaster instead :)

Thanks for your help though much appreciated :)