Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

few xp questions

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
i have a couple random XP questions -

my current desktop background was a nice picture i saw somewhere online so i rightclicked and selected set as background. now if i rightclick the desktop and goto properties this shows up as internet explorer wallpaper. is there some way to save it so that i can change my background now, but can come back to if when i want to?

while we're at it does anyone know of any good sites for good desktop backgrounds? ive tried googling on and off for years but havent come across as anything awesome yet. i want some nice beach backgrounds or tropical paradises. i saw some good thumbnails on webshots but when you open them they're no where as nice as they appear when minimized.

also when im in win explorer i like to see my icons grouped by type. i keep changing the view to group similar icons together, but it keeps changing back to being put in some other order, i think alphabetical. is there some master setting i need to change? why does my change not get registered permanently?

thanks!
dan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Internet Explorer Wallpaper is an actual filename that you'll find in the Windows folder. You can change your wallpaper now and it'll still be there later.

2) The ways are many, however this is largely personal taste.

3) Windows Explorer seems to be a rule unto itself in this department. It should stick but for whatever reason it doesn't.