Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh system slowwwww

• Please log in to reply

Chaskelanger

Chaskelanger

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Edit: Btw I really hope this is the right forum, my first time posting here.

Here's some info:

Mobo - K7N2 Delta2
512MB PC3200/400
1.4 Ghz AMD Athlon
GF4 128Mb
40Gb WD HD 8MB Cache (IDE)

Anything else just ask.

I have an almost twin machine to this one I built a week ago that is having no problems. However the only difference is its running an AMD XP 2800+

The new machine is running so slow its gonna be 2015 before Xp Pro gets installed. I have the HD in IDE1 set as master and the CDR in IDE2 as Master.

Its not over-heating.

I've checked the hard-ware (cables included) in the alternate machine so far so good.

All cache'ing in the bios is disabled.

I've checked the HD in another machine it was fine.

Its so slow I cant find anything wrong in the bios, tried fail-safe defaults no go.

At first it would get to "setup is loading windows" and reboot itself. Disabling Cache'ing fixed this.

Now it will actually install but its going on 3 hours and this machine before it got overhauled (only processor recycled) installed XP Pro in a matter of 45 mins tops. Its about 25% thru the actual OS installation.

I've built about 7 computers and I previously had this problem and it was due to have the jumpers on the drives set wrong, however this time that's not the case.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chaskelanger, 20 April 2005 - 01:05 AM.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Unless you are running setup directly from CD, try running SmartDrive before running setup.

Chaskelanger

Chaskelanger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
While I appreciate your response I've never had to use any tools other than my WinXP disk and my other machine installs in 25 mins.

However a friend on a gaming forum suggest I try it SmartDrive (and I did) and its still so slow it'll make ya sick, I could tell no difference atall in installation speed.

I have noticed that it appears that reading from the CD is taking an extremely long time (when setup is copying files for windows during setup). However I have tried 3 different drives all with the same results.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Have you tried running setup from your hard drive? should be faster.

Chaskelanger

Chaskelanger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I have not yet tried that however even "if" it ever gets XP installed the problem will continue while the OS is running. I'd like to knock this problem out before I get the OS installed.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try testing the ram with this

Test each stick by itself

Let it run for at least 3 passes and post back your results but if there are lots of errors then thats your problem.

Rick

kparlin

kparlin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Chaskelanger,

Have you tried a different CDROM drive? Is it new or used? I've had CDROM's go bad on me and they usually start to slow my system down or hang it up when that happens. It would be worth a try.

KP