Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 crashes

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
BF2 is one of my alltime most favouritest games and I love playing it.

Recently it has started to crash while i'm playing it, either totally locking up and forcing me to restart my computer, or just exiting the game, leaving my computer in a crappy like 640x480 resoulution with bad colours and I can't change it, so I have to restart anyway.

I think it may have something to do with my rather bad video card, as it crashes more often when i'm doing something like flying a plane, and it has to load a lot of stuff constantly or whatever, I dunno.

I've got a nVidia Geforce 5200 FX 256mb AGP video card, Pentium D 3410mhz Processor.

Any idea what might be causing the crashes?

EDIT: I've been thinking, and I think it map be a RAM problem or something? My current RAM is probably the worst part of my computer (I'm upgrading as soon as I have the cash, don't worry :)) Currently running 1gb of DDR(400) RAM. Don't laugh :)

Further edit: I just looked up the actual requirements for BF2, and it says it needs 128mb video ram or more, and at least the FX5700 chipset, so the video card may indeed be my problem, but it has run quite well up until now (with the occasional crash every hour or so :) )

Edited by Seltox, 30 December 2007 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you would benefit greatly from more ram and a much better video card. Those are the sources of your troubles.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

with the occasional crash every hour or so

Have you made sure that you aren't overheating?

(If that is even relevant to the question, im just guessing)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
In all honesty it could really be the heat! Coz the constant crashing really only started after one of my fans died, and it runs fine until the crash itself.

And seeing as it just took a while before it crashed previous to the fan dying, it could just be that it's overheating yeah.

And I know I need better hardware, currently gathering money for it - and i'm about to buy 3-4 new fans.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Try taking the side panel off the computer and blow a fan into the computer. Then play your games and see if you are more stable.

EDIT: Please post if that fixes it!

Edited by Krusha, 02 January 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I started it up and got about 3-5 minutes of play out of the game before It crashed. I then took of the side of my case and noticed that Video Card was very hot, the CPU wasn't any hotter than usual though as far as I can tell. I left it to cool down for a few minutes.

I started it up again, this time with a fan running next to the open case and started Battlefield up. Played for 15 minutes (how long it took me to win the map I was playing) :). Video card still heated up quite a bit, but it was a stable heat after 5+ minutes and didn't seem to be climbing.

Looks like I was just overheating. Thanks Krusha ^_^.

~Seltox

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Your welcome. Glad I could be of help. :)

EDIT:Do you have any other games to test? If you do I would test all of my games just to make sure.

Edited by Krusha, 03 January 2008 - 10:48 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I have other games, but none of them crash. Battlefield 2 is very demanding, and my video card sucks. that's pretty much my story.