Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows asking which program to use to open webpages

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there everyone, and merry xmas.

after working fine for years my computer has started playing silly b*****s! i have a good few links to web pages on my desktop which i use very often. thse links worked fine for ages, but after an install and uninstall of firefox windiws xp keeps asking me which programme i would like to use to open the links. i thought this was fair enough the first time, so i clicked the "allways use this programme to open files of this type" check box and clicked ok. all well and good. but every time i use one of the links it asks me each time which programme i would like to use to open the links. no matter how many times i open the link and check the box it still asks me every time!!!!! i know this may seem like a very petty problem, but as im using these links many manty times in a day it becomes very frustrating after the first few times. if anyone could shed any light on this matter i would be very appreciative.

many thanks in advance

Bob

Advertisements

Clark76

Clark76

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
Try this

• open My Computer or any other folder should do also
  • click Tools
  • Folder Options...
  • click the File Types tab
  • scroll down to the file extension your links are saved as
  • if it is not listed as FireFox then highlight it then click Change
  • This part should look familiar to what you described in your post. Do this part as you did earlier.
  • Click OK to close the Folder Option window.
Does this fix your problem?

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, thanks for the reply, but still no joy im afraid. also its internet explorer im using now not firefox, but i dont think that makes much difference with windows asking which programme to use. any other ideas? many thanks