Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 4 Problems

• Please log in to reply

Simeon

Simeon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey there
I'm new to this forum but I hope you can help
I recently bought Call of Duty 4 after the holidays
after getting home I went to another store to acquire a suitable graphics card
Now while loading the game with the new graphics card, I have my security system warn me a few times about the file trying to access different things, well apparently I missed one of the popups to allow it to permit finishing the installation
So I had to cancel the installation, and upon trying to reinstall, I realized that the game was stuck in some sort of limbo, it had files loaded but when I tried to access them, I couldn't, and when trying to unistall the game from the autorun menu it said it couldn't find the unistall setup
So I attempted to manually unistall, or at least thats what I thought I was doing when I deleted the
program files, however I am stuck with the game gone yet it says its on my PC can anyone tell me
what I should do to get this game running?

Edited by Simeon, 29 December 2007 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what happens when you try to reinstall? does it do nothing or does it give a specific error?

Simeon

Simeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by that
is there a way to just reinstall and bypass uninstalling?
because when I try to uninstall it says "error reading setup initialization file"

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you will need the Microsoft Install Cleanup utility

Download and install. You should see Call of duty 4 listed along with any patches you have installed. Just select each cod4 entry and click remove. once completed please reinstall. Then patch.

Simeon

Simeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed the cleanup utility and it does not have the game on its lists
What should I look for?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm running vista, so that may make a difference. If call of duty 4 is not listed, then you can try deleting the install folder. Then try to reinstall. If that fails then we can repeat the process followed by deleting a registry entry.

MaTTaMaMaTiX

MaTTaMaMaTiX

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have the same proplem.
i cant uninstall the game.
i deleted all the program files.
but what do i do with the registry?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go to start/run and type in regedit
go to file, export and enter a name and choose location to save the .reg file. This is a backup of your registry.

For Windows XP:
Then go to HKey_Local_Machine\Software and look for activision. Delete the entries for Call of duty 4.

The install for vista is different. Refer to the instructions above for the MSI cleanup tool.

Simeon

Simeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you very much
I can now reinstall my game
you have saved me from wasting alot of money
thanks

Brewer50

Brewer50

• Pip
  • 1 posts

you will need the Microsoft Install Cleanup utility

Download and install. You should see Call of duty 4 listed along with any patches you have installed. Just select each cod4 entry and click remove. once completed please reinstall. Then patch.

I Downloaded it and installed it,but i dont know what this list is that your talking about.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
once you've installed it, then you need to run it. it will show a list of software that is installed on your system.

bungalobob

bungalobob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I have the same Problem as the fellas Above, for some reason the Clean-up tool you suggested won't see it, along with Control panel, So i was wondering if you know the path for Vista in the Registry? Thanks alot.

bungalobob

bungalobob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sry Im not sure if it matters, but i have 32 bit Vista.

bungalobob

bungalobob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I went to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Activision and its not there. And I used the 'Find' Command and it cant 'COD 4'. So I think im stuck, like it doesn't make sense, although it doesnt show registry, when i plop in the DVD it asks if i want to play singleplayer, multiplayer or uninstall...etc. but when i click any of them nothing happens because its not really there.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
regedit for vista:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\wow6432node\activision\call of duty 4

The MSI cleanup utility will show show COD4 installed. Make sure your running as administrator.