Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just freshly reinstalled windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Spirit1969

Spirit1969

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there, so I just reinstalled xp.
The virus I had would make IE open up when I was using Firefox or playing games.
I used my comp 97% of the time playing wow.
It also took away control of my run command.

I now have my run command back, and have firefox installed.

Was looking for some help or guides as to how best setup my computer again to be as safe as possible while enjoying my games at a good rate.

I don't have any paid Anti-Virus, safety programs at the moment; and would like to know of some of the best free ones to use until i run and buy the best paid one ( tips there would be awesome).

Is it safe to go ahead and run the windows update? I'd really love for there to be a way to totally disable IE, but some of my online pc games seem to use it somehow for their updaters and my access to logging in.

Hopefully not to much to ask for, even just having some guides in the forums pointed out would be great.

I had tried to repair this problem quite a few months ago, seemed to be going well until my computer screen died. So wasn't able to get on site and finish my help from GTG, sorry. So I thought I wouldn't bother anyone again with that problem. :) Figured I'd just start fresh and keep it safe and running nice from the start.

thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Take a look through HERE for some very good suggestions/programs.

Murray

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Spirit :)

For anti virus I cant really fault AVG Free and Zone Alarm do a nice free firewall. As for spyware, theres so many to choose from but one of the better known ones is Spybot Search & destroy.

Spirit1969

Spirit1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I have all my windows updates done.
I'm now using Zonealarm and Avast for protection. It's so nice to have control of what's going in and out of my computer again. Along with the use of my run command.

I don't think my computers running faster now than when I bought.
Gonna knock on wood here, cuz this is how my luck goes. Now that everythings fixed, I expect my new monitor to go or some other part (or tv,xbox, etc); that's exactly the luck I have.

x'ing fingers..
and thanks. hehe