Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IS 4GB of Ram enough

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay thanks. I will surely go with 64 bit as I will have a 680i motherboard for SLI and I will be looking to use this computer for gaming for the next 10-15 years. So I am sure the extra RAM capability will help.

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Okay thanks. I will surely go with 64 bit as I will have a 680i motherboard for SLI and I will be looking to use this computer for gaming for the next 10-15 years. So I am sure the extra RAM capability will help.

You should note that only the 64 bit versions of vista that can support the 128gb RAM limit are Ultimate, Enterprise, and Business. The 64 bit versions of Home Premium can hold up to 16gb and Home Basic can hold up to 8gb.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
10-15 yrs????

Thats being really optimistic. Realistically 3 years if you like being on the cutting edge. 5 years if your lucky. Just in that length of time, the shear technology changes will make you want to change.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

10-15 yrs????

Thats being really optimistic. Realistically 3 years if you like being on the cutting edge. 5 years if your lucky. Just in that length of time, the shear technology changes will make you want to change.

I laughed a bit when I read that in George's post because I wasn't sure if he was serious or not (no offense, George.) In any case, a computer can be a lot of hassle financially if you want to be at the very top of gaming. Of course, the main things you'll be upgrading is your graphics card, RAM, and possibly your power supply depending on the power consumption of each graphics card you get. You can usually get away with your processor for a few years (depending on how fast it is how many processing cores it has.)

Edited by reconman, 02 January 2008 - 08:45 PM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i'm not exactly cutting edge due to the amount it costs, but i never go more then 2 years without building an entire new system