Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm getting vista tomorrow and i'm afraid!

• Please log in to reply

Poseido

Poseido

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey, I may be getting windows vista tomorrow, Simple because of a problem i have with a game, But thats another story. I just have a few questions to ask before i install it.

Well the first question is; Is it worth the bother of installing? I ask this because i have Windows XP Professional at the minute and i was wondering should i just keep windows XP and ignore the vista or install vista.

Should I Dual Boot? I Ask this because i don't want to reset my whole HDD and have to reinstall WoW, If you play iy you most likely know the pain of installing. Also a sub question; Does Vista have a partitioning tool built in, Because i attempted to partition my drive with a program, It said it did it, But it lied.

I was looking on the vista site. It said to "Upgrade" Does this mean it just upgrades your windows xp to Vista mean you can keep all your files? If so i will defenlty install it.

Thanks for taking the time to read i hope these questions can be answered ASAP.

Thanks
Poseido! :)

Advertisements

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
If your PC is from 2005 or later I would say go for it.

I was looking on the vista site. It said to "Upgrade" Does this mean it just upgrades your windows xp to Vista mean you can keep all your files? If so i will defenlty install it.

Yes it will keep all your files.But you should back up all your data to be safe.

Poseido

Poseido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

If your PC is from 2005 or later I would say go for it.

Yes it will keep all your files.But you should back up all your data to be safe.

Ok, Yeah my PC was custom built about 6-7 months ago. Was me and my mates project.

Yeah i'm going to make a back up just not sure were to put it.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I upgraded from XP to Vista home premium and it did keep all of my programs,folders,ect... you CAN do a dual boot or you can run XP in a virtual machine inside of Vista. (need Vista buisness or higher). The upgraded Vista seems to work with other programs better than my wifes oem vista on her laptop. (I can run combofix on the upgrade but not the oem (to see how combofix works))

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I upgraded my laptop with XP Pro to Vista Business. I didn't use an OEM version...bought the DVD and did a 'clean install' (which I totally recommend). I've had no problems.

This bit of advice may help you:

Clean, New Installation of Vista -v- Upgrade from XP

Choose a clean installation, avoid upgrading from XP. If you MUST upgrade, then download the Vista Upgrade Advisor and then obey every single instruction. If the Upgrade Advisor says remove software, or upgrade hardware, then obey. You cannot pick and choose, you must comply in full, or else your upgrade to Vista will result in poor performance.

Obtain The Latest Drivers - DriverQuery

To help you check the version of your drivers check with DriverQuery.

Launch cmd
At the command prompt try:
DriverQuery /?
DriverQuery /v
DriverQuery /v /fo list
DriverQuery /v /fo csv > driverq.txt

Now it's over to you and research the driver manufacturer's site for the latest version.

Edited by Jacee, 30 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.