Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN extension cable PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
We have put in a LAN extension cable, about 6m long, to connect a broad band modem from one room to another. The cable has measured continuity on all 8 leads but when a computer is connected it does not see the modem. The cable has been split into 2, but one end is not connected to anything. Any thoughts on why there is no connection even tough there is continuity would be appreciated

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean it's been split into two?

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
We forgot to put another Connection point in where the routers are so we split the 2 cables in to one

Posted Image

lol its hard to explain

SpuD

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not know if you can just split the cable like that. A couple sets of instructions I found split the cable at a switch/ modem in to 4 wire and another 4 wire (properly paired). Then at the end of the cable was a splitter that broke the cable out again into the same 4 wire and 4 wire.

I have never tried this, I just bought a switch for mine.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes we would have used a switch apart from the problem that it is all under the floor and in the walls now :S

But why does it show consistensey with a general electrical current but not regonize a router or computer??

SpuD

Edit: We have also wired up the conectors each end exactly the same so that sould not be the problem

SpuD

Edited by ==SpuD==, 14 January 2008 - 02:50 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But why does it show consistensey with a general electrical current but not regonize a router or computer??

people forget about the T part of UTP or STP...the T is for twisted....those pairs are all twisted through the line and if you're gonna split a cable like you want to...you have to take that into account...you have to use the wires that are part of pairs to get this to work

if you're doing a continuity test...all you're testing is to see if the lines are broken or not...you're not checking to see if they're capable of transmitting data

http://everything2.c...node_id=1387055

couldn't be that hard to just fish another cable through could it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wait wait wait......i'm confused again....did you take one cat cable and split of 2 pairs for one connector and 2 pairs for another connector....or did you try some magic splice method to connect two full cables (4 pairs each) into one cable?