Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing XP problems....

• Please log in to reply

roosterCOF

roosterCOF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello,ill give the full story so you can follow along.

i have a dell PC,im installing a brand new hard drive,and want to install XP on it,previous OS was win 2000.i can not get the pc to boot from cd to install XP, only options it gives me is f2 or f12 to either go into settings and change boot sequence or choose from a list of 1-4 hard drive, cdrom drive, floppy, or undi pxe 2.0 blah blah blah...(i am assuming its the other cdrom).what am i doing wrong?last i knew the cdrom was working and PC was reading it...i tried putting the disc in both cdroms and still the same result. please help.

Edited by roosterCOF, 30 December 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Which of the cd drives is jumpered as "Master"?

That is the one your XP cd has to go in.

Then, change the boot order and make sure the cd drive is the first on.

This will only work with an original XP cd. If you are using one you or someone else made for you, setup is entirely different.

Murray

roosterCOF

roosterCOF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
im using only the new Hard Drive,im in the live chat now so if you can help i wil be there

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not there and the hdd doesn't matter. You say you are using TWO cd-roms. Which is the master?

XP Pro Install

XP Home Install

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 30 December 2007 - 12:55 PM.