Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving "Documents" folder to the network.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

On our file server at work, we have a folder called Infotech for our department. Inside Infotech, I have my own folder called "Magus". I mapped a drive, "X", to the file server where these folders are stored.

On my vista machine, I wanted to move "Documents" to X:\Infotech\Magus. When I do, it asks if I'd like to move my current documents into the new folder. I tell it "Yes" although the original folder (on my Hard Drive) is empty. For some reason, it renames the "Magus" folder to "Documents" and it's driving us crazy. We can't figure out how to stop it from doing that.

Imagine if we had 15 users from accounting all using vista machines. We map their "Documents" folder to their current folder on the file server and then what? We'd have 15 folders named "Documents" under the accounting folder on the server.

In Windows XP, I would right click My Documents, click Properties, click Move, key in the new path to my folder X:\infotech\magus and press OK. Then, I'd still have a folder called Magus under infotech on the server. That was just plain easy.

Have any of you figured this out? :)

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements