Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Protection configuration

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I live in a desert where the electricity goes off periodically especially in the summertime. So am concerned always about my PC being on when this happens and the electricity coming back on with a surge.

Have been confused about using battery backup/surge protector or both.

In questioning friends as to their configuration re such protection, I get a variety of do's and don'ts along with dire warnings about what should/should not be used. None of them are techs, so remain confused. Can someone here clarify the best protection to use and why?

These are some of the configurations my friends are using:

1 - battery back up and surge protector with just battery back up plugged into wall

2 - heavy duty extension cord with many outlets and just plugged into wall

3 - surge protector alone with many outlets and plugged into wall

4 - battery backup, with both surge and battery backup protection outlets, and the battery
backup plugged into the wall

5 - battery backup and surge protector with battery BU plugged into wall and modem plugged into
wall by itself with the claim that no interference of modem signal should exist between it and
wall outlet.

Have a Dell computer, XPS 400, XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help someone can suggest.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You want #4. Gives you the best of both worlds in one package.

Murray

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Should also get a UPS unit that connects to your PC via USB or serial port to shut down Windows as most long term battery backup units are expensive. This is in case you are asleep or not present when power goes off and PC was left on. I leave mine on 24/7.

Choose a refurbished unit at: http://www.refurbups.com/. If you like new, I trust TigerDirect.com: Power Protection

Ron