Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 6.0 Vulnerability...

• Please log in to reply

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello, all...I'm back.
Anyway, for all of you MS Internet Explorer users, here's another reason why you shouldn't use Internet Explorer. At least the fix for it is easy. Read on!!!

Another MSIE Vulnerability
@ Dec 15 2001, 09:12 (UTC-7)
(© by bugtraq) There is a bug in the Microsoft.XMLHTTP component shipped with Internet Explorer 6 which allows reading and sending local files (exampleexample[/url]).
This component doesn't handle http redirects to local files properly. In order for this exploit to work the file name must be known. The exploit doesn't distinguish between extensions, binary or textual content which may make it a high risk exploit. The bug has been demonstrated on Win98/IE 6 and WinXP/IE 6 and probably exists in previous versions as well. The workaround is to disable active scripting or set it to prompt.

Anyway, here's the fix...
On the menu bar, look for tools, and click on it.
(This is the path: tools\internet options\security)
When you see the tab labeled "security," click on it...
Next, look for the option labeled "Security level for this zone," and click the button marked "custom level." Now, scroll down until you see "scripting." When you see this, you should see "active scripting;" There are 3 options; 1)Disable, 2)Enable, and 3)Prompt. Check 1)Disable, and click ok. This will fix the IE bug, and save your box from some script kiddie from getting root access to your machine(hopefully...).

This is food for thought; whatever you do with it is totally up to you. Information is power! :tazz:

Advertisements

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Windows has a root account now?

Anyway wasn't that vulnerability found like 4 years ago? I'm pretty sure that's been fixed or anyone who has information that needs protecting have the proper firewalls and IE settings.

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Windows has a root account now?

Anyway wasn't that vulnerability found like 4 years ago?  I'm pretty sure that's been fixed or anyone who has information that needs protecting have the proper firewalls and IE settings.

View Post

Yeah, it was, but has M!cr0$0ft done anything about it? They're finally releasing a critical update to correct the problem. But, I've found out the update doesn't stop the problem. So, problem not solved...