Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista - XP

• Please log in to reply

sumguy

sumguy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi, I am not sure whether this is the right area to post this...but my question was:

If I buy a new computer, can I take Vista off it, and install Windows XP again?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Better check first to make sure they even make XP drivers for the hardware on the new system.

Secondly, odds are, you will void the warranty if you do that.

Lastly, you will need an original retail version of XP.

Murray

sumguy

sumguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
k, thank you for your help

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
If you have a lot of memory with that system with Vista on it. I recommend using Microsoft Virtual PC. Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers.

If you use Microsoft Virtual PC you wont have to take vista off your computer.

Be sure to give XP enough memory though. On Virtual PC, 512MB ram for running XP is slow so if u can I would try to give it a 1GB if you have enough memory.

You may get an error when starting XP under Virtual PC saying there is not enough Physical memory available on the host and that means that you need to give XP less memory. You can find out how much Physical memory is available on the host by opering Virtual PC and going to Help < About virtual PC and then going to the information tab. Then there is a thing that says Available Physical Memory and that will tell you how much you can use on Virtual PC. You have to remember though that the more memory you give that Virtual PC, the slower your PC is going to run when you have that Virtual PC running.

The Matt