Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD enclosure problem

• Please log in to reply

lordo

lordo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there, I have a question regarding a USB harddrive enclosure and the hard drive inside it. I'm having a very frustrating time trying to make it work.

I bought a Western Digital 320GB SATA harddrive (Model WD3200KS) with the intention of turning it into an external storage drive for my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. I bought a GreenStar 'power saving' SATA --> USB2 encolsure the other day simply because it was the least expensive option at the store I was shopping at. The install was straightforward, but after powering the unit on, it did not appear as a "new USB Device detected", as the manual said it would. I checked all connections, and even tried a different USB cable, but no luck. I tried restarting, even installing absolutely everything on the driver CD that came with the enclosure, but still no change. GreenStar is a Taiwanese company and doesn't have a website. there is no troubleshooting info in the manual at all. I'm completely at a loss... i've looked in diskmgmt.msc, but all i see are my laptop's HDD and the DVD drive. I'm certain my laptop isn't at fault, since all of my USB 1 and USB2 devices work as normal.

If anyone can help me work this out because i've missed a step, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
be sure to power on the enclosure BEFORE you plug in the usb. just in case if you were doing the opposite it may not work.

lordo

lordo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for your post, binary. Turns out the enclosure was defective. I returned it and ordered a "Mobile Disk external data storage" enclosure from Ebay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I installed the same HDD, formatted it with no problems although i was surprised at how many GBs I lost in windows (shows as only 298 gb). Anyways, the first week goes well, but I have found that the hard drive locks up at random moments. Nothing in particular seems to set it off. I can leave it running on its own for days at a time and the LEDs will stay blue (=ok), or I will be playing a movie off it and it'll freeze and the lights turn red. Windows locks up until i shut the power off by hitting the switch on the back of the enclosure.

I have tried to run disk checking, but each time, it will lock up at various points through the procedure. This enclosure / hdd combo gave my laptop its first BSOD, and i let windows run the startup disck check on the drive, but naturally it stalled again.

Can someone offer advice on where the kink in the system is?