Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Okay, I can get System File Checker to run after rebooting, but...

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I can't read anything in the image you posted, sorry. Even tried saving it and enlarging but it's all blurred.

How would you go about reloading the operating system when your hard drive fails, which it will sooner or later? What does the Owners manual for your laptop say? Do you hit a Fn key at boot time that takes you to a recovery partition on the hard drive?

Sounds like the I386 directory on your hard drive is incomplete, not sure how it got there but it should have the files I listed.

Advertisements

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I uploaded two separate images this time... tinyurl.com/2qpzxm and tinyurl.com/2vlxsb

And I just found that I DO have the SFC files, there just in a odd compression format that I don't know how to extract.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I told you in Post#10 how to do it.

You can use the expand command from a command prompt to extract it from the CD and put it where it belongs. Enter expand /? for usage info.

Works the same for the I386 directory on the hard drive.

Also, your links via tinyurl.com are useless. You need to post the actual links like you did before.

Edited by Ztruker, 31 December 2007 - 07:57 PM.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
http://www.imageshar...3/untitled2.jpg http://www.imageshar.../untitled_2.jpg

The tinyurls worked for me.
I was able to replace sfc.exe and sfcfiles.dll but the others said I can't write over them. Still no success.
I'm starting to wonder if this just can't be fixed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Thanks, I was able to view the images that time, though I don't understand what you see that is questionable.

If it worked and now it doesn't then it should be fixable, just a matter of finding the fix :)

You may be able to replace the other files by booting to Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator.

I'm loosing track of what's happening/happened. Did you check the event viewer to see if anything gets logged there that might shed some light on this?

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Actually, I've never used SFC before, this is the first time. I think we can call it quits, all for I know, this could have been happening the day I got my Laptop for whatever reason it is.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, maybe we can work on it some more next year :)

Have a Happy New Year.