Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS update or not?

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 which fails to overclock dosn't matter what I do, just dosn't boot afterwards. I've heard that people with this board have exactly the same problem with the same CPU (Intel Q6600 with G0 stepping) but on the Gigabyte web site theres a BIOS update for this board that fixs the problem with overclocking that CPU and people have reported it overclocks lovly once you've done the BIOS update.

Now I would like to do this but that would mean flashing the BIOS, which as we all know is very very risky for so many reasons. The board does have dual BIOS so if I updated the main BIOS and it failed could I copy the back up BIOS data on to the main BIOS and everything will be alright again? As I have no idea whats so ever (I could ring Gigabyte to find out but I'd much rather ask here first :))

But then there always BootBlock Recovery but I don't know what thats like and if it would even fix a badly enough flashed BIOS... anyone know if it's totally fail safe? :)

In the event that I flash the BIOS and it went wrong, do you guys think I could ring Gigabyte and they would help be sort it all out? I'm not so sure... :)

I really need some help and advise on this one guys :) as I would like to overclock and not screw up my board lol.

Thank you all in advance :)

Edited by callard, 31 December 2007 - 01:38 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All motherboard manufacturers state that flashing the BIOS is done at your own risk. Therefore Gigabyte would not help you and in some cases it'll null and void your warranty (because warranties state that to be valid a component breaks not as a fault of the user. Therefore you flash BIOS and it fails, you'll have no comeback because you deliberately went ahead with it).

Having said that, if you really want to overclock, you probably have no choice.