Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is slow since installing Mcafee AVG

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Last week I intsalled Mcafee AVG software, I usually do not run any AVG software for the exact reasons I am going to explain. I had to install AVG software because I am working remotely for a company and their VPN connection searches the PC to validate that AVG of some kind is running. I did this last week and although I noticed a slight slowdown I considered it bearable. Now, it seems that anything opened from Windows, word document, excel document, notepad, takes about 1 minute to load, sometimes the entire PC will freeze and all programs will become locked. I tried unloading the Mcafee services and minimizing the programs to run at startup and still nothing. What has this software done to my PC? I am sure I do not have a virus, this is a direct result of this Mcafee software. Please advise, here is a Hijack THIS log

[attachment=17586:hjt.txt]

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You either have McAfee AntiVirus or you have AVG Anti-Virus. There is no such program as McAfee AVG.

From the log you have McAfee Antivirus.

Anti-virus programs add overheads to system demands because they scan files as and when they're accessed by other programs on the system. Lack of physical memory will cause the addition of even a basic anti-virus scanner to slow things down to a crawl. Best thing to do is add more memory.

What type of computer do you have, name and model number? We'll find you some memory that that computer should like.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Warning: Personal Opinion follows:

McAfee, like Symantec, really bogs down a system, even one with a lot of memory and a fast processor. Were I you, I would uninstall McAfee completely then install AVG Free for anti-virus and Comodo for firewall.

AVG Free
Comodo Firewall

Return McAfee to wherever you bought it.

dfb500

dfb500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have a COMPAQ PRESARIO, 512 RAM, 2.4 GHz processor, always had enough memory until these latest downloads

I uninstalled Mcafee as the last poster advised and downloaded AVAST, unfortunately the problem remains, even when I turn all of the Avast providers off so if I understand it correctly there should be no scans running. The problem seems to be on Windows based programs like word, notepad etc. 1-2 minutes to open, my PC was a screamer until last week, whatever happened it appears the damage is done now. I also upgraded to SP2 last week, could that be causing the slowness? This really has me ticked off because if the cure (AV software) is worse than the disease (MALWARE) what good is it.

Any advise on how to give Office programs more resources?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sp-2 by itself is a considerable extra load even at the best of times. Added to a long running computer, loaded with applications, the installation of sp-2 can end in disaster. As much as I think sp-2 is important I do not recommend it's installation on a computer that worked a long time without it.

I suggest that you remove sp-2 in your control panel > Add/Remove Programs. If that solves the speed problem leave the computer as is (download antivirus, that's essential. My choice is Avast) and wait for another time, when you format the computer, to install sp-2. It should be installed immediately after the installation of XP.

If you still want to have sp-2 then un-install and re-install it. Before re-installation please do the following:

1: Perform disk cleanup (preferably with CCleaner) and run defragmantation.

2: Run a thorough scan with antimalware programs like Avast, AVG Antispyware (free) and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 (don't use the 1.5 version.

3: Disconnect from the internet and disable your antivirus and other antimalware programs, if you have any.

4: Install sp-2

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You have malware in that log so you will need to post in the Malware Removal forum with a full HijackThis log as well