Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Error 256 in Boot.ini file

• Please log in to reply

Purgethunder

Purgethunder

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Win XP installed and the other morning, I found the computer dead. Went to try and reboot and got this error message, "NTLDR: Fatal error 256 in Boot.INI". Please help. :tazz: I am somewhat backed up but there are some files out there that i still need to get to . is there any way to repair boot.ini file? Thanks. ;)

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Reinstallation could help solve your problem.

Purgethunder

Purgethunder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Would a reinstallation wipe out my personal files/documents? Also, during time since first post, i have gotten to windows xp install screen and it says it cannot detect a previous version of windows. So, would this mean I would do a complete install? What would be the ramifications of that in terms of file loss? Thanks!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of windows cd do you have? Recovery of a retail version.

I have not seen this error before, but my guess is that your windows directory is screwed up...boot.ini is being read, and the files within the root seem to be functioning up until the point of failure, when the boot.ini directs you to the windows directory to load windows.

Purgethunder

Purgethunder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Windows XP CD (retail) upgrade version. It has already prompted us to put in the Win 98 CD to prove we are eligible to use this upgrade version. We've stopped at this point. Still concerned about losing personal data files. Thanks for any suggestions.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You will not loose data with a repair procedure, but you will need to reactivate windows. Even your programs will work if ... IF, something else is gone wrong.

As noted, the only time I have heard this happen is when a directory structure gets crapped up.

If you care to, start the recovery console with your CD and type

DIR /p
enter
command at the prompt. Do you see a WINDOWS FOLDER? PROGRAM FILES?

Just make certain you are running a repair and not new installation.

id990176

id990176

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have this similar error and I fixed it (actually avoided it). I have Windows ME on a brand new SEAGATE 160GB Hard Drive and I upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade multiple times due to the fact that I wanted have more than 137GB of space. But that was my limit. I was able to expand it to 149GB with Dynamic Drive Overlay(DDO). It worked great with WinME but when I wanted to upgrade to WinXP again, I would get NTLDR: Fatal Error 256 reading BOOT.INI in the middle of the installation process. I tried upgrading over and over and nothing worked until I decided to undo the Dynamic Drive Overlay by letting WinME format the drive and skipping the DDO process. Then after that i was able to install the WinXP Upgrade without having that pesky error. The bad thing was.. I was stuck with my 137GB limit. At least I got Windows XP to work. I'd say it was worth the sacrifice.

I didn't have to worry about any saved documents or other files, because, like I said, the hard drive was brand new and I had nothing to lose. So if you think you have this same problem or have the same situation as me, then you'd have say bye to those files that you had in your hard drive if you use my method.

Well Good Luck!

Edited by id990176, 27 April 2005 - 03:22 AM.