Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen MOBO or Vid card problem

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok here is what happened: It was working fine one night, I shut it down, and the next night I turn it on to boot up and nothing but black screen. Not post, no windows loading screen nothing. According to HDD LED's it went through the whole boot cycle. So I'm assuming windows is loading.

I unhooked all my drives and had just the motherboard, CPU and video card running and I still had a black screen.

Is this a MOBO problem or a Video card problem? Note: I have had a few VPU crashes, but the software restarted automatically. Also, I have had 2 blue screen of deaths 1 day apart from each other, and I had one the night before the black screen happened.

computer specs in signature.

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Just to be sure, could it be a monitor problem? If nothing is getting there, but the computer itself seems to be working fine, the monitor may be the culprit. Check the connection going from your video card to the monitor.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried starting in safe mode yet...

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
This is a new topic started regarding this thread.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I had this problem a while ago aswell, the way I solved it was a faulty RAM module, might be the same for you, check all RAM and make sure it's all fine

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
"Just to be sure, could it be a monitor problem? If nothing is getting there, but the computer itself seems to be working fine, the monitor may be the culprit. Check the connection going from your video card to the monitor."

I have it connected to my laptop right now, the monitor is fine.

" have you tried starting in safe mode yet..."

I'm not even seeing the post screen so it is impossibly to even see anything.

" I had this problem a while ago aswell, the way I solved it was a faulty RAM module, might be the same for you, check all RAM and make sure it's all fine"

You know i was considering this too, since I did see blue screen errors. I will attempt this today along wiht many other things, I'll test each individually, but only putting in one DIMM at a time to see if one i faulty, or if it is the problem.

I'll give feed back. I'm also getting other coments from teh ABIT forum saying it might be my PSU. I havn't had anyproblems wiht my PSU though, everything has worked fine over teh past year and a half, no power failures, or restarts due to that. And I also have checked the voltage through teh ABIT utility and everything was in teh safe range, andthey were stable.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
do you have a case speaker connected and are you getting any beeps?

If you remove the ram and power on does it beep?

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
my speaker was faulty 2 years ago when it arrived.

Here is an update on my findings today. I disconnected everything and I mean everything, RAM, CPU, HD, Drives, Fans, PCI cards, everything, and found that it still didn't post at all... only black screen. Then I went through trying the different connections on the card, and did everything but the S-video. After doing all this and doing some very thorough cleaning (dusting), I gave up and went to the geek squad at bestbuy. We went trhough it and it even stumped him. He did hook up a reader to it, which gave him a digital number. Not sure what the reader was, but the reader slid in a PCI slot and went through many numbers after booting up, and it stuck on 7F... not sure what that meant, and he didn't really explain that very well. I also had him test my video card in another machine, and apparently it works fine. So now we are looking at a motherboard or processor problem. But even with the processor disconnected I didn't get any POST. so I am assuming it is the MOBO... I guess it just went out. I will take it to one more place tomorrow that I know of and see what they think, and ask them what I should do. Any other thoughts? I tried a diff power supply, we tried a PCI graphic card, with the same results, and I tried pulling everything out. I need a little help.

It's kinda weird that the mobo would go out like that without a sign.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I think I've singled it down to the mobo... they say that 9 out of 10 times it's the mobo... and I was talkign to a friend, you would notice a huge difference in CPU, physically, and most likely smell electrical burns if the CPU went out.

ANY suggestions on where to buy a Socket 939 MOBO with PCI express, and atleast 3 pci slots? I've been looking and all I find is FoxCOm and I don't like the buyer ratings on those. so far I have looked at zipzoomfly, and new egg, and they don't have much, any other suggestions?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
What kind of ram do you have I'm assuming its in the sig but if I'm wrong please tell. For now THIS is all I could find. I believe these were wiped out a while ago.

Soorena

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It does sound like the motherboard is gone that why I asked you to remove the ram and power on and then if it beeped, no beep is a stong indicater that the motherboard is bad.

You really should have a working case speaker when troublrshooting.

BTW a board can't post without PSU,CPUwith heatsink/fan,Ram, video card, these are the minimum to pass the power on self test (post)

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I meant that the BIOS won't even show up... that's what I meant by post, apparently I had my terms wrong. The BIOS should show up with just video card and moboard and power right? well in any case any combination didn't work.

as for what type of ram I have I have DDR1 400 3200, corsair. I have 2 gigz worth, with dual channel running.

I'll take a look at that one, and I'm looking at this one: http://maincomp.stor...sa8ses93.html... So far I'm ready to go back to ASUS, my bro computer, which used to be mine, 4 years old, is working just fine. I had 1 problem with ASUS and gave it up...

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok, well i found that mobo won't be compatible wiht my hardware. I need a PCI ex 16 slot, AMD 939 athalon 64 X2 4200+ compatible mobo, with dual channel memory, and 3 pci slots. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Also, I have some questions:

1. It's been a while since I've done this so, how much arctic silver 5 thermal paste should I apply to my processor to put my heat sink on.

2. does anyone know the symptoms of a CPU failing (just curious)? And plz include some physical details if possible.

3. Let me know of some trustworthy websites to order computer parts. I know zipzoomfly, New egg, tiger direct. I've looked at geeks, and a few others... check out this one and let me know what you think: http://maincomp.stor.../asa8ses93.html

4. When looking at motherboards I found SLI ready. does that mean you have to have everything compatible with SLI, like do you have to have an SLI psu, and have 2 video cards which are SLI to be able to operate with that board? Or can you use it like any other board, and just run 1 graphics card on it? This is some valuable info, cuz if I can do what I think you can do, I will buy one that is SLI ready so I can do things in the future.

5. The same goes with Cross Fire. I was going over some information and found an intersting article comparing Crossfire vs. SLI and I think i would prefer Cross fire. And sine I have a ATI card, I would prefer an ATI chipset in a motherboard... so there is some more specifications I would like to find... And I have been seeitn Asus with these specs more often, so let me know what all you find.

Thanks all

Edited by strikermed, 03 January 2008 - 01:57 AM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok, one additional questions regarding motherboards.

If I were to buy this mobo: http://www.xpcgear.com/asusa8rmvp.html

And others like that, can it support 1 video card, or do you have to run crossfire? like have 2 cards running?... Because crossfire is somethign I might want to do in the future but not now.

And I am wondering if this board will support all my system now (signature)

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
for SLI you'll need a PSU with 2 6-pin PCI-e connectors, and i think you are ok to run just one gfx card on an SLI mobo