Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATA-133/SATA compatibility question

• Please log in to reply

blythy

blythy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to building computers, I fancy building one very soon and I don't think it will be too much of a problem as I've replaced/added most of the components of my current PC, just not all at the same time :tazz:

As it happens I recently replaced my hard drive with a 200GB ata-133 drive, understandably I want to take this drive into my new computer that I'm building. Looking at motherboards, the majority seem to mention SATA features. My question is, will my ata-133 drive be recognised and work when connected to a sata connector. This is probably a very easy question for the majority of you so please be easy on me ;)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you wont be able to plug that hard drive into a SATA connector, completely different plugs. the old hard drive will have to go to an IDE channel, like it is in your current system.
get a mobo with 2 IDE channels, so you can plug the hard drive (or drives) into 1 channel, and CD, etc into the other. you really dont want to plug a hard drive and CD on the same cable, since it will slow the hard drive down to the speed of the CD (DMA 33 or 66, opposed the 133 your HD does).
SATA is great, I use it, but you dont have to use it immediately. you can build using what you have, and upgrade to SATA when you need space, or have the cash, etc.

does that help?

blythy

blythy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That helps a lot thank you :tazz:

I had an inkling I'd have to look for a mobo like that, the majority of reasonably priced mobos for amd64 socket CPU fail to really mention how many IDE sockets they have, if any at all. May have to pay the price and get an expensive one instead. Thanks again for you help.