Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What exactly is Win 32 cabinet self extractor?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I always do the normal Microsoft updates when I am prompted to, but this one is different. It went to an icon on my desktop, and when I click on it, of course it asks me if I want to run the program or not. I have never seen an update like this one, so before I run it, I thought I'd ask about it.
What does it do exactly, and do I need to run it?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is the exact name of the update/ Does it have a KB number?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Where would I find that? I right clicked the icon, and searched for a KB number in each tab it had. It did say this
file version 5 50 4134.600 Internal name Wextract, former name Wextract.exe
and.."this file came from another computer and might not be blocked for security", even though it does name Microsoft Corp. MSN

And that is the part I am curious about, I have never had an update go to my desktop and want me to run it before. I use MSN for my homepage, but I also had some spyware a while back that tried to change my homepage to something like www.msn.com2(and a couple other numbers). So rather than do something with this, I wanted to ask first.

Edited by bettei, 01 January 2008 - 02:03 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Your version didn't seem to match the versions listed here: wextract.ext

Related: Wextract.exe 2
Re: wextract-cleanup0

Google Search

Ron

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Upload the file to http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and have a bunch of different virus scanners check it.

Also, look at your update history on the MS Windows Update site to see what the last updates were. Post those numbers here. The last one I installed was "Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB946627)" on Dec 21 2007.

Edited by Ztruker, 01 January 2008 - 09:17 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I last updated on Dec. 12th, and there are no more critical updates to install with Windows at this time. I did upload that file to the virus scan as you suggested, and it is clear.
The only thing I can think of is that it might be connected to the update I did to my MSN homepage a while back. But I don't know why it went to a file on my desktop, and if I haven't run that file yet, and the homepage works as it is...I wonder why I even need it? Would it be safe just to delete it?

I don't know too much about computers, and I am always cautious when things look different to me.
Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would delete it. Nothing on the Desktop should ever be required for the system to run correctly.