Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall drivers for Speedtouch modem

• Please log in to reply

Onfinals

Onfinals

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Dear Sir,

I am trying to uninstall the drivers for my previous broadband provider. THe model is a Speedtouch ST 330.

I have previously performed the unistall function through the Add/Remove function in windows. However, some files appear to still hang around somewhere which is causing some processes to run in the background. I am in the process of cleaning up a bit, and i think that this is my last hurdle.

I have found a couple of files hanging in the C: dirve under Program files, but no uninstall file.

The is a stange file wich, when i open it in Word Pad looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- SetupWizard configuration file - R2.0
-->
<configuration>
<Language>en, fr, de, es, pt, it, nl, pl</Language>
<LanguageCodes>
<code iso="pl" win="0x15" name="Polski"/>
</LanguageCodes>
<Customizations>
<wizardsize valueX="500" valueY="388"/>
<useNavigationPane>0</useNavigationPane>
<WelcomeBackground>../Images/background_STHIW.png</WelcomeBackground>
<WelcomeInfo><![CDATA[tr("<center><h2>Welcome to the SpeedTouch Home Install Wizard</h2>
<p>This wizard will remove the SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL modem and all its applications from your computer.</p>
<p>If you are sure you want to proceed, click Next; otherwise click Cancel.</p>
</center>")]]>
</WelcomeInfo>
<CompletionBackground>../Images/background_STHIW.png</CompletionBackground>
<CompletionInfo><![CDATA[tr("<center><h2>SpeedTouch Home Install Wizard completed</h2>
<p>Removal of the SpeedTouch 330 was successful. The SpeedTouch 330 can now be safely unplugged from your computer.</p>
</center>")]]>
</CompletionInfo>
</Customizations>
<AdaptorManagers>
<AdaptorMgr name="st330AdaptorMgr" plugin="plugins/ST330AdaptorMgr.dll">
<setting key="serviceConfigFile" value="service/st330service.config"/>
<setting key="deviceName" value="SpeedTouch 330"/>
<System type="wow64">
<setting key="infInstallerPath" value="drivers/x64/installer/installInf.exe"/>
<setting key="useInfInstaller" value="1"/>
</System>
</AdaptorMgr>
</AdaptorManagers>
<RunOptions>
<Scenarios xmlPath="xml" default="scen_uninstall_st330.xml" />
<Settings>
<setting key="installDir" value="%PROGRAM_FILES%/Thomson SpeedTouch/ST330/"/>
<setting key="pppConfig.entryName" value="My ISP"/>
</Settings>
</RunOptions>
</configuration>

Your help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unless you're using a provider's custom software, there is generally no need to remove the old modem because unless you're going from a completely different network provider (say, from BT to Cable) you can use the same modem again.

Onfinals

Onfinals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Dear Neil,
Thanks for the reply.

I have moved from Bullddog to Sky (from not so good to questionable, but that is a story for another day). Sky provides a little router box, so i do not need the modem anymore. Therefore i want to rip the old modem software out, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Leon

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sky's routers are rubbish out of the box, you'd be better off using a USB modem like the one you're trying to get rid of now :)
The access numbers will be the same, just change the username and password to that given to you by Sky.
Alternatively, get your details out of the router, flash it (the Sky routers do turn into decent little Netgear Routers once you've DeSkyed them) and set it up manually. Sky won't provide technical support if you do this but then some things never change.