Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Priority Management

• Please log in to reply

BRM0000

BRM0000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I have a quite annoying problem with W2K SP4. It might be related to process priority management. Whenever I run an application that needs a lot of CPU, all the other process seem to "freeze". Sometimes it is the antivirus (avast), the explorer.exe process, when I copy something from the DVD unit, or whatever else, it takes the 100% of the CPU and the other applications work poorly for a while. I can specially feel this problem when listening music on an mp3 player (VLC, or Winamp)… the quality of the sound is poor or the music stops from time to time.

I understand that some applications need CPU, but it seems looks like they take the 100% of CPU resources. I tried to raise the priority of the VLC mp3 player to "real time" in order to compensate for explorer.exe or whatever else is taking CPU, without success.

I don't think it is a virus problem, since when the greedy application finishes its execution, CPU usage descends and everything works fine again. No troubles with svchost, services.exe stuff...

I am using a pentium 2.66 GHz, 1GB RAM. Not exactly a high end machine but not that old to have these usage problems. I ran the same SW applications on an inferior machine smoothly without any trouble.

Thanks a lot!!!

BRM

Advertisements