Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Quick Flash + Auto Restart

• Please log in to reply

with_stupid

with_stupid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, tonight my brother and I were at eachother 'cause he wouldn't do something he needed to do and so I was like okay I'll shut off your computer if you don't do it..and I put my finger on his laptop button...and he always caves...but then it shut off and I was like What the...? I don't think I pressed it but maybe just somehow I shifted my finger and that activated it. WHATEVER. Anyways, he was a HP Compaq nc8230 ...laptop...and I don't know the other specs because it wont startup properly.

So here is the problem...Once he accidently hit the power button and he got BSOD on startup...but this is exactly how it went down. ----> Hp Invent screen... f10 f12 whatever... we apoligizes blah blah blah (choose the following) safe mode-safemode with networking etc etc..... Windows Xp with the little bar thing going left to right... BSOD QUICKLY FLASHING! I read something about volume and I THINK its Unmountable_Boot_Volume from what I read about the BSOD pinned topic but I can't be sure.

Last time this happened we sent it into my dad's office because he leases computers through his office...and all I know is that when it came back it was wiped clean..
so I checked multiple web posts and all talk about fixing by doing this...

Start the recovery console. If you do not have it installed - or when that version does not work - like in this case, boot from an installation CD and select R for repair. You can easily mix languages - I used an English CD on a Danish Windows
Run these command -
chkdsk c: /r /p
fixmbr
exit (to reboot)

Me again.... so it turns out we don't have the XP installer CD because it's leased from my dad's office...so I can't run that...

I tried running in safe mode and every other option on that screen but to no avail. And every time we hit one of those options... it goes to the windows xp screen with the bar going across underneath then BSOD flashes and the computer automatically restarts.

I already said this but just so it's here again...the computer is an HP Compaq nc8230 and that's all I know.

The thing that ticks me off the most is...he treats his laptop like crap (leaving it on the floor in hibernate, leaving it on his bed with wires everywhere, tossing it around, never putting it in its bag, pushing the power button all the time or just closing the screen) and yet the ONE time it shuts off because I push the button...it does it!!!

Anyways, any help from you computer geniouses would be appreciated...but just remember I'm really dumb when it comes to this...so please explain in detail with thorough instructions.

Thanks,
with_stupid

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download a CD iso version of the Recovery Console from either of these:

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

Create a bootable CD from the iso file, DO NOT burn the iso file itself to a CD. If you don't have burner software that supports creating CDs from an iso file, download an install DeepBurner which handles this.

Boot the CD then run the commands you listed.

Post back if you need more help or direction. Let me know how you make out please.