Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I replace my video card

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I game (COD4, Team Fortress, World In Conflict, etc.) and run an HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive out of my HTPC. I've be wondering if I should switch out my video card for one of the new NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 cards. I have no problems with my current card and I only us it at stock speeds. But I am wondering if I should sell it now to get the highest resale value and apply the money towards the cards with the newer process since the new 8800 GT cards perform so well (faster graphics and better efficiency.)

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Looking at NVIDIA's site I see that it may be worth the upgrade. You will have less memory and the Memory Interface will be 256-bit, however you will notice that the clock speeds are higher and the Texture Fill Rate is almost double.

Soorena

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
After some soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I will wait, enter the water-cooling world, and overclock my 8800GTS 640 instead of going for the 8800GT 512. I bought the GTS right before DX10 games were released; I was getting ready for the "next wave" in graphics resolution.

I think I'm going to stick to that paradigm. Crysis seems to be represent the "next wave" for 2008; since there are no cards/systems that can handle Crysis, I'm going to hold off from purchasing another graphics card until later.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I was under the impression that the 8800GT could handle Crysis quite well.

Ever thought about running Leadtek Leviathans?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

After some soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I will wait, enter the water-cooling world, and overclock my 8800GTS 640 instead of going for the 8800GT 512. I bought the GTS right before DX10 games were released; I was getting ready for the "next wave" in graphics resolution.

I think I'm going to stick to that paradigm. Crysis seems to be represent the "next wave" for 2008; since there are no cards/systems that can handle Crysis, I'm going to hold off from purchasing another graphics card until later.

Good choice, it's not worth the upgrade or the hassle.

I was under the impression that the 8800GT could handle Crysis quite well.

It can handle Crysis easily. However people want to max out the settings on the game with resolutions or 1680x1050 and greater which simply is not possible.
James