Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem opening video files

• Please log in to reply

Strifey

Strifey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not sure if this is the right section, but it seemed closer than anything else. I've been having a problem with opening video files for a while. I posted here once a few months back, but my problem was never resolved. Here's the problem:

Whenever I open any video file, no matter what the type and no matter what player I use, the first time I open it I get no video and only sound plays. Now then, when I open a 2nd file, be it the same or a different one, in the same or a different viewer, while the first is still open.. it plays just fine the second time. So I do have a way around the problem and making it work, however it's highly annoying having to open a file twice every time I want to watch something, since I need to first wait for the file to load up and not work before starting it up again to make it work.

Another problem I've been having is that sometimes when I open a folder that contains video files, windows explorer will crash, and continue to do so every time I open a folder after that, until I reset my computer.

The problem with opening video files first started when I upgraded to the newest version of Windows Media Player, I tried reinstalling the previous version I had but that did not fix anything. The second problem just started happening seemingly at random a long time ago.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
identify the codec the file is encoded with by using: http://www.videohelp.com/play#identify

make sure your sound and video drivers are updated.

try using VLC video player and see if that helps.