Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual booting to a previous OS

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Hey, I wanna set up a dual boot. XP Professional and 98SE (To mess about with pretty much :)).

I've got a 200gb Samsung HDD (200gb apparently, seems to only find 189gb of it. I'm aware it's not exact, but 11gb is quite a bit, isn't it?). I've got the whole thing partitioned int one drive, with XP and everything else on it. I still have about 140GB unused space, and i'd like to get like 5gb for a Win98SE setup, and then have a dualboot for it.

Is this possible without an uninstall or too much risk? if so, detailed instructions? :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't have much experience with this, however, this iknow:

1: The older OS (win98) must be installed first, then the newer one.

2: Each should be installed in it's own partition. Presently you have only one.

3: Win98 will only run in FAT32 file system. XP can run both in FAT and NTFS but there is question if XP will enable a very large FAT partition.

Have a look at this link where they discuss the options.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
ahahaa, XP will run on a large FAT32 system :). Before I had any idea about this stuff I installed it as that. Re-installed my OS to make it NTFS later on though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
XP was meant to run on NTFS but since win98, which prceeded xp and win2000 was still very popular and running on FAT, Microsoft had to make XP compatible to older systems. As far as I remember, if you try to install XP, formatting to FAT in the process, You will be limited to a partition size of about 40 gig. If you format your hard disk under DOS you can create large partitions and keep FAT by choosing to leave the file system as it is during xp installation.