Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure where to start.

• Please log in to reply

keegen

keegen

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello,
My sister-in-law called me at work today and said she thought she had a virus or Trojan horse on here computer. I sent her here to Geeks to Go and had her download SUPPERANtiSpyware and told her to run it while I was on my way to her home to look at the results of the scan. When I got there the scan had all ready finished but she had all ready rebooted the computer. She said it did find "a few" virus/Trojan horses but she didn't remember what it was. The problem now is when I open the start button on her PC, her access to the control panel and the whole right site of the start menu is gone. When I try to download HJT from your site it just sits there and wont let me download anything. When I try to go into Windows Security Center or System Restore I'm told I'm not allowed to do that because of the system settings. She had administrator rights on her account but apparently no longer does. I went to one of the other admin user accounts and the control panel was there the first time I opened it but then was gone when I looked again. Kind of make me afraid to actually go into the Administrator account. Anything I do to try to get some help, change a setting or download a program seem to be blocked. Were do I start to fix this mess?

Is it possible to download HJT and others to my PC and then burn them to a disk to put on hers?

Edited by keegen, 04 January 2008 - 12:01 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes it is...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you right click on the Start Menu and select Properties? If so, what happens if you select Classic Start Menu then left click on the Start menu? You won't see the poofy windows stuff but you should see everything the start menu has to offer.

If you click on Start then Settings then Control Panel, do you get there?

keegen

keegen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I will stop by her house tomorrow on my way home from work and try to access the start menu that way. Will also download HJT and others on to a disk and run them on her PC. I will post the results in the appropriate forum.

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you can get her concurrence, you could install LogMeIn on her computer then you could debug remotely. She can turn it off and on as needed. Just a thought.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another remote connection program is crossloop...it's free and fast and you can transfer files back and forth that it takes the paid version of logmein to do...
You can get up and running with CrossLoop in under 2 minutes. Simply download and install the application and it will automatically configure itself to your network environment.
you can read about it and get it here...and here..
I love this new tool...I use it all the time...

keegen

keegen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Great idea guys! This will be much better than stopping by her house after work every night. Thanks for the suggestions.