Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install SATA hard drive w'out floppy

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I want to install a SATA hard drive but I don't have a floppy drive, is there any way to install the SATA drivers without a floppy?

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I just found a floppy with the SATA drivers for my old mobo on it (Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G). My new mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS4. Do you think these drivers will still work ok?

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Duh, just remembered I don't have a floppy drive :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your new mobo should have came with a drivers cd...
are you just trying to add a second drive to your system or is this a new build...

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi
I'm trying to use my old HD with my new mobo but I need to find a way of installing the right SATA drivers without using a floppy disc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your bios "see" the drive you won't need to install drivers for it...
have you installed the drive already...

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
is this a fresh installation? or are you trying to use your existing setup on that hard drive with your new board?

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Well i'd rather go for a fresh install

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug from the wall...disconnect the old drive...plug in the new drive...reboot with the OS cd in the cd drive..try installing windows...it should see the drive and just go on as usual...don't use the quick format option...

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
many times the sata controller requires it's own driver. especially if such driver was included with the motherboard like he says. if windows setup says that it can not find any drives, then you have two options:

1 use a floppy drive (can be external) and the floppy, press F6 when prompted, and load sata driver.

2 use a program like nlite to create a custom xp installation cd-rom that includes the driver, and likely that will work without having to load a special driver.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
his mobo is new enough that it should be supported right in the bios...
Note...I have tried using a usb floppy drive to install SATA drivers...it was a no go...
if push comes to shove ...temporally plug in a internal floppy drive to load drivers at the F6 prompt..
you can the remove it if you want...I recommend to keep it installed just to flash your bios later down the road...

here's one that adds a little more to the floppy...
Ultra 7-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Media Drive
Peerless! This 7-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Media Drive compact design, affordable price and outstanding performance make it one of our featured buys of the year! If you need an all-in-one media reading solution this drive is for you. High-speed USB interface. Support for many media formats (SmartMedia, MultiMedia Cards, MicroDrive, CompactFlash, MemoryStick, SecureDigital Cards and floppy diskettes). 4-pin power supply connector! Yes, this 7-in-1 USB 2.0 internal media reader offers one of the best feature sets you'll ever see.
all for $ 29.00

Edited by happyrck, 04 January 2008 - 01:41 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thanks guys
I've just been rooting through my old PC stuff and I found a floppy drive!
One more question, when I install XP again should I format the drive or do a repair install?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your putting it on the new drive ...format it...