Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long Pause at Startup

• Please log in to reply

depawl

depawl

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
This is a Toshiba Tecra laptop that was severely infected with, among others SpyAxe and Brave Sentry. I believe all infections have been cleaned using AdAware and Spybot, AVG AntiSpyware, Webroot, and Smitfraudfix. The one issue I'm left with is that when the computer boots up, it hangs for a couple minutes on the desktop background, no start menu or icons. During this time, I can access Task Manager, which shows 0% cpu usage. After a few minutes, the computer boots normally. Turning off everything in msconfig startup makes no difference, it still hangs. It does not however hang in Safe Mode. I suspect the problem is a Windows Task or Service that has become corrupted by the infection, but haven't as of yet discovered the answer. There was much corruption resulting from the infections which I corrected by registry editing. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Advertisements