Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System - Black Screen Of No-Go :(

• Please log in to reply

Akimb0

Akimb0

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello again every at G2G, I finally decided to upgrade my system this christmas, and I went with:

System:

Mobo: Asus P5KC, P35, Socket-775 DDR2/DDR3
Chip(s): Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.67 GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775
GFX Card: NVidea 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition
RAM: 2 GB RAM ( Pretty sure it was Corsair )
Sound: Audigy2 6.1 Sound Card
HDD: 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint ( SATA )
Optical Drives(s): Sony DVD-RW + Basic DVD Drive
PSU: 500W Enermax Liberty

After setting the whole thing up ( I've made several PC's before. ) I tried my first power up and everything seemed to be going well...I had power to every component all my "joy lights" were lit up to say the Mobo etc. had power. However I didn't see anything on the monitor. I've had no BIOS POST, I don't think I actually connected the case sound this time...( Since All the components e.g. GFX Card and RAM are known to work, leaving only the CPU and Mobo as unknown. )
Anyway I know that the RAM is fine ( works in another system ) and that the soundcard is fine ( again it worked in another system. ) and the new components are the CPU, Mobo, GFX Card and HDD. I then disconnected everything except the GFX Card, RAM and of course the Mobo/CPU. Still nothing, all seem to be recieving power, but still no access to the BIOS.
Then I tried replacing with components I -know- are working, such as my old GFX Card etc. Still nothing. All have power, but no BIOS Access. I've been through all the manuals incase I missed something, I even tried the ASUS FAQ and support which basically said the same as the manuals...( On a comedy side note, why have a quickstart manual which is in every language EXCEPT English? )

Things I suspect:

1) Dodgy Mobo, only thing I can think of to explain no access to BIOS.
2) Dodgy CPU, Surely this would be obvious?
3) RAM is too old...I'm not sure of the exact speed, but I'm sure it's 633 DDR2 which IS supported by the latest Intel Chipset ( just about. )

So I'm kind of stuck....thinking of just sending it all back and using the old system....on another side note, I 've bought my last 3 Mobo's from Komplett, and the 1st one was duff, the second is the one I was using until now, and the newest seems to be dodgy as well -_- I also considered it could have been the PSU not giving enough power, however I checked all the documents, and it stated that for a single 8800GT and a High energy consumption CPU, 500W would be suitable. I also as stated before removed most of the components, ao it should have at least been able to support just the GFX and Mobo...Sorry if the order of this seems a little random, I was just typing it as I thought of it.

Thanks to anyone who can confirm my suspicions ( Faulty Mobo ) or give any other advice...

Update: I -think- I know what's wrong....The Bios won't boot if the RAM on the Intel P35 Chipset is below 633Mhz...I have this horrible feeling that the Corsair RAM I have is just 400 Mhz -_- Does that sound right to anyone? ( I found the info about the P35 not supporting "slow" RAM on the ASUS Help Pages. ) I never really thought you could get 400 Mhz RAM in the 1 gig size...guess I was wrong :-/

Edited by Akimb0, 05 January 2008 - 06:56 AM.

Advertisements

Akimb0

Akimb0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Resolved !! - It was indeed the RAM being too slow for the new P35 Chipset on my Mobo.