Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-Installing Windows XP Home Edition issues

• Please log in to reply

Desperateforhelp

Desperateforhelp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Received \Windows\Sytem32\Config\System errors. Found my way around it. Started Windows and started receiving "lsass.exe System Error: An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function." So, left with no other option I am now trying to re-install Windows XP. I get through the license agreement, then through a screen that asks to install a fresh copy of XP. Then I get to a screen that shows the single existing partition. The following options are available:

"To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D."

I have no clue what to choose. Is there any option that will retain all my files and programs?
I chose to set up Windows XP in the existing partition. Then i'm given the follwoing options:

"Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"

My main question is if choosing any of these options will allow me to keep any of my files or programs? And if not, what do I choose to correctly re-install Windows XP Home Edition.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's OEM XP, all those options will wipe the machine.
F3 back out to restart, then boot off the CD again, press R on the first screen, then if prompted Option 1, any admin password you set and press Enter.
Then at the command prompt, type "CHKDSK /P /R" and press Enter. Leave it to run.
When done, type exit and try a Repair again, by pressing Enter on the first screen, F8 on the second and you should now have an R option on the third screen.

Desperateforhelp

Desperateforhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If it's OEM XP, all those options will wipe the machine.
F3 back out to restart, then boot off the CD again, press R on the first screen, then if prompted Option 1, any admin password you set and press Enter.
Then at the command prompt, type "CHKDSK /P /R" and press Enter. Leave it to run.
When done, type exit and try a Repair again, by pressing Enter on the first screen, F8 on the second and you should now have an R option on the third screen.

thanks for the help. i did that before and it didnt work. and somehow the administrator password for recovery console that was just blank is no longer valid. so not being able to access recovery console, and having the lsass.exe system error I was left with no other option but to start over for scratch and give it all up. thanks again though!