Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Trouble: Internal/External Hardive Issues

• Please log in to reply

Miyabell

Miyabell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
M'kay, I've seriously got some issues today. Windows has been reinstalled on a laptop (Dell Inspiron b130), but the main user's My Documents folder was not deleted before reinstallation. Consequently, the folder is still showing, and I know all of the files are still inside as well. But whenever anyone tries to explore or open or delete the folder, a window pops up with "Cannot delete X: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." I'm looking for a way to override that, so that I can copy the folder, move it to another computer, and then delete it from the laptop.

Secondly, I have a Seagate 250 gig external hardrive that is not currently working. Apparently a demon knocked it over (according to my roommate) and since then it gives me a beep error whenever I plug it into aformentioned laptop. It does not read that there is anything plugged into the laptop, but, when I plug it into a desktop computer, it reads that it's plugged in. I cannot explore the drive though; it doesn't read. So what I'm trying to figure out with that is how, if it's possible, to get the files off of THAT drive, without opening the main case, moving the files, and then deleting them from the hardrive.

Any help for either would be more than welcome. Thanks a lot!

Miya

Edited by Miyabell, 06 January 2008 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For the "Access is denied" problem, you need to take ownership, see here: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;308421

Miyabell

Miyabell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Doh. XD Thank you. I hadn't even considered that, I was so pissed off about not getting into the folder.

I've also that I can stand cutting my losses with the external and returning it to the store, so long as I can figure out a way to erase all the data on it. Can anyone help me out with doing that? Thanks again, and thank you, Ztruker!

Miya