Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My printer is printing the HyperText (HTML) version of a web page

• Please log in to reply

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi Team,
My printer is printing the HyperText (HTML) version of a web page. I am running WIndows Vista on a Dell Desktop, THe printer is Dell 926. I am sure that this is really easy to fix but I cannot figure it out. Can any one help here?

Many thanks in advance.
Bob

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
hello and welcome to Geeks To Go. I just wanted to let you know that we have not forgotten you. I am looking for a fix because my moms dell does this as well. please hang in there and we will help you

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Today I ran into a problem that I hadn't seen before. A customer's MSN and Internet Explorer browser (including MSN email and web mail) would only print the HTML coding of a web page or email.

HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language and is the programming that is used to present web pages to us and the coding behind text color, bold, etc. in email. We had cleaned some spyware from this users computer earlier in the day, and even printed out some pictures, but a few hours later I received a call about this strange symptom. At first, I thought it was just a forwarded email gone awry, but after arriving on the scene and seeing that word processing documents, test pages, pictures, and spreadsheets all printed fine, the culprit was definitely in Internet Explorer 7.

Deleting temp files, using the IE 7 reset settings button, and changing printers didn't work. After a few minutes of searching the web for an answer, I came across this jewel of a solution that worked!

• Close any open programs
  • Click Start --> Run
  • Type: regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
  • Press Enter on your keyboard
  • Click Start --> Run Type: regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
That did it! If your Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN, or AOL browser prints only HTML coding, which usually starts with the following text, use the above six steps to restore sanity to your Internet and email printing.

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...nsitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"

Could help, although I am no expert on this... let us know :)

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks Adrenalin, I really appreciate your help on this. It sounds like this may be a common thing. However I'm wondering if there is an easier way of doing this. This is actually my mother in law's machine and tell her this version it will be like teaching her how to do a haircut over the phone.

Are there any other short cuts that anyone can think off? Would it be better uninstalling IE7?

sirusx69

sirusx69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hate to resurrect a semi-old thread but what happens if it comes back and says mshtml.dll does not exist?? :)

cescalils

cescalils

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My sister called me with a problem printing emails after subscribing to verizon fios. When I looked at her pc this weekend I discovered it is this same problem (she is pretty computer illiterate and I know just enough to be dangerous so of course she calls me when she has a problem). I just called her walked her through this "fix". It said .dll is not able to be used. Any other suggestions??? Thanks so much in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Princess_Pinky

Princess_Pinky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Today I ran into a problem that I hadn't seen before. A customer's MSN and Internet Explorer browser (including MSN email and web mail) would only print the HTML coding of a web page or email.

HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language and is the programming that is used to present web pages to us and the coding behind text color, bold, etc. in email. We had cleaned some spyware from this users computer earlier in the day, and even printed out some pictures, but a few hours later I received a call about this strange symptom. At first, I thought it was just a forwarded email gone awry, but after arriving on the scene and seeing that word processing documents, test pages, pictures, and spreadsheets all printed fine, the culprit was definitely in Internet Explorer 7.

Deleting temp files, using the IE 7 reset settings button, and changing printers didn't work. After a few minutes of searching the web for an answer, I came across this jewel of a solution that worked!

• Close any open programs
  • Click Start --> Run
  • Type: regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
  • Click Start --> Run Type: regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
That did it! If your Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN, or AOL browser prints only HTML coding, which usually starts with the following text, use the above six steps to restore sanity to your Internet and email printing.

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...nsitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"

Could help, although I am no expert on this... let us know :)

I tried this, but it didn't work. I keep getting this message after I enter in regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll:

The module "shdocvw.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "shdocvw.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

I'm afraid my computer may have more problems than just this, though. It only started printing in HTML after AOL stopped working. (The latter was completely out of the blue, but each time you tried to start AOL, then suddenly the computer would reboot itself.) So we uninstalled AOL, but now the computer only prints in HTML from the Internet and we can't even perform a Recovery on it. :)

Any suggestions? :)

chiefhawk

chiefhawk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Printer is printing in html for web pages go to this link to repair Replying to http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01115704

go to this link and follow intruction to reset Internet Explorer as your default browser

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01115704