Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally decided on hardware - opinions please

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Rather than upgrade my old pc, I have decided on a new-build. The pc will be used for gaming, photos, etc. Looking to overclock to around 3.2 GHz (hopefully). Appreciated opinions on hardware choice (all selected from ebuyer, but will probably shop around), and any suggested changes I should consider. Can't change the graphics card as this is already ordered.

Motherboard

CPU

CPU Cooler

RAM (2 x 2 GB Matched Pair Kits)

HDD x 2

Graphics Card

Power Supply (700 W)

Case - Not sure on this one - open to suggestions around same price mark

Additional Fan

Fan Controller

DVD Drive

Appreciate taking the time to look and offer opinions/suggestions, I am on a budget and haven't built a pc for about 6 years.

TIA

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi Bigeye,

Remember that DDR3 is coming outquite a bit now, that motherboard's chipset is quite old, try looking for something a bit better. I do not have the time right now to build a PC for you, but here's what I would change:

Motherboard - Change
CPU - Fine
CPU Cooler - Research on this one and then decide
RAM - I like Corsair :)
HDD x 2 - I have read some amazing reviews of Samsung Drives, also had one of my own that worked very well!
Graphics Card - Already Ordered but nice choice
Case - I will be getting this for my next build - No doubt about it, love this case!!

And as for the rest, yeah it's quite decent. I know the experts will be here soon so wait for them, they will recommend some good stuff for you!

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
DDR3 still out of my price range, unless I can get a motherboard DDR2/DDR3 compatible. I was looking at this, but seems to be only DDR2 compatible.

Motherboard

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Gigabyte do a Socket 775 board with dual DDR2/3 memory.

This board will do both DDR2 and DDR3, but remember you cannot have DDR2 and DDR3 memory in at the same time and expect it to work. It has had very good reviews and a good overclocking capability.

This is the board:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131173

And here's a review for it picked entirely on what came back first in Google:
http://www.hardwares...com/article/476

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for that, this is what I will go for.