Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

P4 2.4 upgrade..

• Please log in to reply

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My current machine is a P4 2.4 on a Biostar P4M80-M4, 1.5 g ram, and a GeForce 6200 256M 64 bit AGP vid. card. The video card is, well, rather lacking in performance (some areas in NWN2: MOTB I get between 8 and 15 FPS at lowest settings,of course I'm also pushing 1680x1050 lol). Newegg has a socket 478 mobo with PCI x16, P4M900M4 for bout $55. at which point I'd need new memory, and of course video card. I'm working with a TIGHT budget so I cant spend anymore than 180~190 after shipping on all three components... basically looking for the biggest bang for my buck on memory and video card, any suggestions? preferably through Newegg and GeForce card, and 2gigs of mem.

I'll be running XP home on it if that makes any difference..lol

Edited by Bahlzeron, 06 January 2008 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I did a bit of research.. and got a parts list together.. the memory is the only thing I'm sort of unsure about.. dunno if that mobo will run dual channel er not. but here's the list.. please let me know if something needs to be changed..ty.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138079 - mobo

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820141211 - memory

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125065 - video card.

Edited by Bahlzeron, 06 January 2008 - 02:11 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you know what socket type your CPU is?
I'd advise you to wait on this purchase, you'll see very small gains for this upgrade.
James

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It's a socket 478... yes I know the gains arent goin to be huge.. but I dont exactly have the money to be building a nice shiny new dual/ quad core system, so I have to make due with what I have.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You'd be better of investing into a single GPU for your current system.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
My suggestion would be to purchase this card.
It'd come to $150 after rebate and before shipping.

Do you know anything about you PSU?
If not, can you tell me how many Amps are on the 12V rail and what the peak output of your PSU is.
This information can be found on the stick located on the side of your PSU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 January 2008 - 08:34 PM.

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
My PSU is an Antec Smartpower 500 watt, its got 2 12v rails.. rail one is 17 amps, and rail two is 19 amps. http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=26500

Just changing the card is a MUCH easier fix... the "oooohhh shiny" syndrome kicked in and I started making things more complicated than what was necessary.

TY for you opinion, my PSU should be able to handle the draw that thing will take..will it?

Edited by Bahlzeron, 07 January 2008 - 06:19 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, that PSU should suffice.
James

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
sweet thanx alot James.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, glade I could help.
James

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if i were you i would buy a video card like a 7800gs that are still available in agp, and rock that for a while until you can afford a new system. thats what i did. my skt478 p4 system with the 7800gs is still fast enough to play UT3 on highest quality.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That's what he's already doing, except he is buying a 7900GS :)
James

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
though I do have a question.... (I'm tryin to figure the benefits of either route) for the price of the card (which is a really killer card) I can get the mobo, memory (which is DDR2 VS my current DDR), and vidoe card that's PCIx16 which performs better than AGP ever will. Doing just the card is the easier route.. but which will have the better benefits in the long run? I'm also thinking bout lookin into a dual core barebones kit er something maybe (still on same budget..lol, probably be ordering tomorrow.. or next couple days) This stupid P4M80-M4 is tickin me off too.. only one mem slot is registering/working.. no difference in performance whne I remove my 512 stick.. (leaving only the 1g stick) tried multiple sticks and/or cinfigurations, tried to flash BIOS and this retard board refuses to, I'm stumped.

Edited by Bahlzeron, 09 January 2008 - 07:18 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since you have a socket 478 CPU, no matter what you buy now your going to have to toss during your next upgrade (excluding the DDR2 memory).
The gains are much higher if you bought the video card. Do you know the peak wattage of your PSU?
James

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
My PSU is an Antec Smartpower 500 watt, its got 2 12v rails.. rail one is 17 amps, and rail two is 19 amps. http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=26500