Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearance of application exe files

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am unable to install programs under my XP-SP2 although I can run quite a number of them.

It all started when I noticed that my Sygate and Avast icons in the taskbar had disappeared. The corresponding ashAvast.exe and Smc.exe, the executable modules, were no longer present in their respective directories. I immediately cut off the link to the Web.

When I reinstalled these programs, the executable modules did not reappear.

The same thing happened with Spybot and Advanced Uninstaller Pro in that their exe modules disappeared.

Furthermore, whenever I open Windows Explorer, Word or Excel 2003, Windows Installer starts up and asks for Adobe Acrobat 7.0. I ran msicuu2 version 5.1 to no avail.

I used the Add/Remove function in the Control Panel to get rid of Adobe. It asked me for the Install CD. When I inserted it, Windows Installer told me it could not find it.

I can access the Web.

Would there be a virus? Should I try an online virus scan despite the lack of protection? Any particular site you would recommend?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like malware of some kind. Read through this area, see if you can Cleanup Your System. This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log HERE. Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the tip. I ran HijackThis and spotted hldrrr.exe. I used both HijackThis and killbox to get rid of it but it came back although I also deleted susidiary modules such as firstrrrun and srosa.

Then I used a Spanish removal package ElibaglA. It still came back.

I also tried MicroTrend Housecall which did not even spot hldrrr.exe which was sitting in the driver folder!!! I did direct Housecall to the driver containing XP.

I'll have a look at the other items you referred to.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like you could definitely use some expert help. Post in the Malware forum after reading the guidelines.

Please let us know how you make out.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Gswiss you have a rootkit, so please make a topic in the malware removal forum as soon as you can. Can you please PM me with the link of the topic and I will get to it.