Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duplicated PnP Software Numerator

• Please log in to reply

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a sound problem with my window, amazing how this OS can't recognize my onboard sound hardware... when i was fixing this problem, I accidently add a new PnP Software Device Enumerator. Bringin conflict with "Microsoft Kernel DSL Synthesizer", "Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Desclamer" and others. The error code in all is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)". I can't System Restore and i'm tired of googling solution to my sound problem.

Linux detected that my sound driver is: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio; 82801EB/ER (is all that i know about it). But when i download that driver, Windows automatically restart after finishing installing the driver. Somehow i found a driver, having sound on all programs but windows still doesn't have(afecting my internet browser, many media player, some video players and all my msger programs). I try to find the way to make windows have sound but i screw it by duplicating the PnP and now i don't want to Format and re-install XP.

Any suggest ideas to: How to remove the duplicated PnP?

PD: sorry for my english

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you add a new PnP Software Device Enumerator? Knowing that may help come up with a way to remove it.

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I search on the web a way to put PnP. It was taking the machine.inf from windows\inf folder, move it to a temporal folder (e.g C:/temp ). Then open it and remove the next line: " ExcludeFromSelect=* ". Then Add New hardware-> Next -> Already connected... -> Add new hardware device -> install manually -> System Device -> Have a disk (and target the machine.inf from temporal folder) -> Standar device system and choose PnP from the right list.

Then i realise after rebootin that i already have a PnP (My bad) and kaboom! I searched in google and ppl who had the same problem as i, they cant remove it and ppl suggest to use System Restore or Format.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See this series of posts. You can use the sc command from a command prompt to delete (or create) services. You can also edit the registry and remove services that way.

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Before doing either, install ERUNT and make a complete registry backup. That way if you do something wrong, you can easily recover. ERUNT is available here: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

BTW: If you had ERUNT installed before doing all this, recovery would have been easy :)

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 2 PnP.. how i can diference them?

Edited by EstApeluO, 08 January 2008 - 02:55 PM.

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
see:

Attached Thumbnails

• PnP.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you see any difference in the registry key" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Once you have ERUNT installed and have backed up the registry, do the following:

From the command prompt, enter:

sc query > scout.txt
notepad scout.txt

In notepad, press Ctrl+f, enter plug and press Enter.
See what the Plug and Play entries look like. If they are identical then
I would delete one of them. If not then need to figure out which is which.
Post all listed data for both here.

To delete one,

sc delete plugplay

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I only see 1 PnP on regedit...

Attached Thumbnails

• error2.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you see when you run sc query. Sounds to me like you may have only one then.

EstApeluO

EstApeluO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SERVICE_nAME: PlugPlay
DISPLAY_NAME: Plug and Play
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING
<STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 <0x0>
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 <0x0>
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just the one though, right? Sure sounds like you don't have two.