Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network problem

• Please log in to reply

geordie_john

geordie_john

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hello i have a tower pc running with windows xp sp2 and a belkin router,my 2 laptops are running with windows vista ultimate.
i setup a home network on my laptops but when i checked it was running unsecured and i have to take out the printer lead from the windows xp m/c and plug it into my laptops to print,i have since setup a home network on my windows xp m/c and set it up so it is secure,but when i try to connect from my laptop to the tower pc running windows xp it will not connect and i have to connect to the unsecured network,how do i remove the unsecured network so i will connect only to the secured network please?
thank you.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Well first, I'd like to point you to a topic that covers how to setup file sharing and printer sharing on a home network: Guide

So, if I understood your post correctly, you had setup a wireless network that was unsecure (Open) before, but now you have secured it by using an encryption method such as WEP/WPA and you want to remove the unsecure wireless network?

If this is the case, I think what you are seeing is other wireless networks other than your own. If you have correctly secured your wireless network, you should no longer see your SSID as being unsecure. When you setup your network, you should have given your wireless network a name or SSID. Is this the network that you are connecting to?

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 07 January 2008 - 10:24 AM.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
the frst network i setup was on my laptop and was unsecured,i have now setup a secured home network using wap on my tower pc,but i cannot see this network on my laptop and keep having to logon to the unsecured one?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Do you have a router or are you setting this up ad-hoc (computer to computer)?

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yes i have a belkin router

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It almost sounds like you still have your old unsecure network setup. As I said before, the unsecure network should not show up if you actually did setup the new secure network, UNLESS you are picking up a neighbors unsecure network.

Ok, here's what I'd like you to do.

I'd like you to take a screen shot of the "View avaiable wireless networks" screen.

This is the screen I'm talking about: http://h10025.www1.h...s/c00587215.jpg

Then if you could post that back here with your ssid of your wirless network.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
the ssid says john`s network
but i do not know how to take a screenshot i am sorry?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
here's a brief how-to

http://www.wikihow.c...crosoft-Windows

Also, to take a screenshot of just a selected window, hold the ALT button down while you hit the PrintScreen button.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 08 January 2008 - 12:53 PM.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
in the network and sharing centre it says:-access is local and internet
wireless network connection(john`s network)
if i click on customize it says:-network name-john`s network
and there is a dot in private

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Alright, I can't recall the screen that you are seeing at the moment (hence the need for the screenshot) but this option does not make a wireless connection secure. What you will have to do, is login to the administration portal of your belkin router and configure the wireless security aspect of it.

http://www.iinet.net...s_security.html Read through this.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 08 January 2008 - 01:12 PM.