Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Panasonic TOUGHBOOK

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
http://www.panasonic...g/toughbooknew/

Anyone know of this yet? Looks awesome to me, what do you guys think? Is there any negative points about this laptop? Anyone owns this and would like to share more about it?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
These have been out of a while. If you need a durable notebook look no further, thats for sure.
I have used them a number of times for stuff at work, I have to say, they are quite neat.
Unless you need them for work, I wouldn't buy them as they are way to expensive last I saw. They are build for outside use, not for inside on a desk.
James

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
8 hrs battery time?? :) I can't get more than 1 1/2 hours out of mine, unless I run on Linux.

They must have tested it with the bare minimum apps running to get that kind of time.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I get ~3.5 hours on my laptop running vista (without areo). I have a 17" screen and a 8 cell lithium Ion battery.
If you shrunk the size to ~11" and increase the amount of cells in the battery, I could quite easily see a laptop reaching 8 hours.
James

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I get ~3.5 hours on my laptop running vista (without areo). I have a 17" screen and a 8 cell lithium Ion battery.
If you shrunk the size to ~11" and increase the amount of cells in the battery, I could quite easily see a laptop reaching 8 hours.
James

Nice analysis. I think I'll save up and get it since I don't actually buy a laptop just to use it at home. I'll be carrying much around. What about when I wanna add more space or RAM in? Can this laptop do it? >.<

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got two toughbooks at work and they're very nice....all the ports have water resistant covers on them, they're very durable (the newest one even has a carrying handle built in...nifty!) the maintenance guys who use them are very rough on them and they haven't broken anything yet (unlike the dell they detroyed in 3 weeks) they're very sturdy

like most laptops they're rellatively field servicable...you can get to and upgrade the ram and HD if you so choose....though there's probably alot more screws to go through than a normal LT